Jharkhand launches Rs.5-lunch for poor on I-DayAugust 15th, 2011 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Aug 15 (IANS) Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda Monday launched the ‘Dal Bhat’ scheme on Independence Day under which lunch will be provided at Rs.5 to a poor person.
“We are launching the lunch scheme at Rs.5 per poor person and opening 100 centres in the state. Each centre will feed 400 people and this way 40,000 people will get lunch at Rs.5 everyday,” Munda said while inaugurating the scheme at Townhall in Ranchi.
On the country’s 65th Independence Day, 100 food centres in all the 24 districts were opened. In Ranchi, seven food centres have been opened. Under the scheme, a person will get 200 grammes of rice, pulses and ‘chokha’ (beaten potato mixed with salt). The food centres will be run by NGOs and the district administration will monitor the scheme.
“The aim of the Dal Bhat scheme is to help people work and think for the state instead of thinking of ways how to fill the stomach. More such food centres will be opened in the near future,” said Munda.
More than half of Jharkhand’s three crore population falls under the Below Poverty Line.
- Jharkhand to provide lunch for Rs.5 to the poor - Aug 03, 2011
- Iodised salt for Jharkhand poor at 50p a kg - Jul 31, 2011
- All Jharkhand panchayats to be e-connected: Munda - Sep 14, 2011
- Munda completes one year amid political turbulence - Sep 11, 2011
- Jharkhand to construct flats for displaced people - Aug 26, 2011
- Shun violence, Jharkhand governor tells Maoists - Jan 26, 2012
- Jharkhand spent only 38 percent of job scheme funds - Dec 14, 2011
- Pepsico to procure 80,000 tonnes of potato from Bengal - Jan 19, 2012
- Maoists massacre 13 Jharkhand policemen (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Ranchi science centre open for public - Nov 29, 2010
- Two cops suspended for slapping legislator - Mar 30, 2012
- Jharkhand not utilising development funds: Ramesh - Oct 08, 2011
- Jharkhand's 12th year to be woman empowerment year: Munda - Nov 15, 2011
- Corruption, instability mark 10 years of Jharkhand - Nov 12, 2010
- Jhakhand scraps free power connection scheme - Apr 16, 2011