Jharkhand JD-U wants to fight assembly polls on its ownMay 27th, 2009 - 12:44 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, May 27 (IANS) The Jharkhand unit of the Janata Dal-United (JD-U) has decided to abandon the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and fight the assembly elections on its own.
However, the final decision rests with the central leadership of the party, state JD-U president Jaleshwar Mahto said after a meeting of the state executive Tuesday.
“The state executive committee has decided that the party will fight all the 81 assembly seats of the state. The decision will be communicated to the central leaders of the party,” Mahto told reporters.
There has been tension between the two National Democratic Alliance (NDA) allies after the Lok Sabha elections — the BJP fought 12 of Jharkhand’s 14 seats and won eight; the JD-U contested two seats and lost both.
It has charged the BJP with conspiring against its candidates in Palamau and Chatra and contributing to its humiliating defeat.
The JD-U’s stance is also construed as a reaction to state BJP president Raghubar Das’ statement after the elections that the party would go it alone in the assembly elections.
Jharkhand has been under president’s rule since Jan 19 and the state assembly has been kept under suspended animation. Indications are that the central government may dissolve the state assembly and elections could take place by the end of the year.
- BJP undecided over Jharkand by-poll pact - Nov 14, 2011
- BJP, JD-U at daggers drawn in Jharkhand after poll results - May 19, 2009
- Prominent winners and losers in Jharkhand assembly polls - Dec 23, 2009
- BJP backs JMM in bypoll, JD-U miffed - Nov 21, 2011
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll underway, JVM-P stays away - May 03, 2012
- JD-U undecided on supporting BJP in Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll - Jun 09, 2009
- Tiff over BJP-JD-U seat sharing in Jharkhand continues - Mar 23, 2009
- With JMM support, BJP stakes claim to form Jharkhand government (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- Jharkhand's Rajya Sabha poll could leave Munda shaky - May 01, 2012
- Question mark over BJP-JD-U alliance in Jharkhand - Oct 29, 2009
- Former Jharkhand speaker to contest polls as independent - Mar 21, 2009
- LJP legislator denies joining Bihar's ruling JD-U - Aug 13, 2011
- Sad that Ahluwalia lost: BJP - May 03, 2012
- JMM to contest Jamshedpur Lok Sabha seat - Apr 01, 2011
- Choosing ministers will not be easy for Munda - Sep 15, 2010
Tags: allies, assembly elections, assembly polls, assembly seats, bharatiya janata party, bjp president, central government, central leaders, central leadership, chatra, final decision, jan 19, jd, jharkhand, lok sabha elections, national democratic alliance, ranchi, state assembly, state executive committee, tension