Jharkhand governor promises panchayat pollsAugust 15th, 2010 - 1:54 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Aug 15 (IANS) Jharkhand Governor M.O.H Farook on Independence Day Sunday assured the people that panchayat polls, which have not been held for 30 years in areas that now form the state, would be conducted at the earliest. He also urged the Maoists to shun violence.
“We have given a time frame to officials to hold panchayat polls as soon as possible as they have not taken place in the last three decades,” the governor said in his Independence Day speech here.
Farook also said that relief work would be expedited in drought-hit areas of Jharkhand, which has been under President’s Rule since June 1.
“Directives have been issued to officials to expedite relief work in drought-hit districts,” he said.
“This year, the monsoon has not been encouraging and we are monitoring the situation. We assure all possible help to farmers and people of the state in drought-hit districts. Due to a poor monsoon, we have already declared 16 of the 24 districts as drought-hit,” the governor said.
Farook, who unfurled the tricolour at Ranchi’s Morabadi ground, appealed to the Maoists to shun violence and join the mainstream of society.
“Naxals (Maoists) are the biggest challenge in the law and order and development of the state. Police forces are being modernized to deal with Maoists and we assure development in remote areas so that Maoists do not mislead the youth,” Farook said.
- Jharkhand to introduce right to service act - Aug 15, 2011
- Drought control rooms at village level in Jharkhand - Aug 17, 2010
- Central team in Jharkhand to assess drought situation - Aug 18, 2010
- Munda focuses on governance, power on R-Day - Jan 26, 2011
- I-Day celebrated amid security in Jharkhand - Aug 15, 2012
- Whole of Jharkhand declared drought-hit - Aug 16, 2010
- Jharkhand governor, CM urge Maoists to shun violence (Lead) - Jan 26, 2010
- Governor Farooq in Ranchi, Soren in Dumka on R-Day - Jan 26, 2010
- Nitish unfurls national flag, declares Bihar drought-hit - Aug 15, 2010
- Karnataka draws action plan for drought-hit (Second Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Maoists for boycott of Jharkhand panchayat polls - Oct 25, 2010
- Nearly half of Karnataka drought-hit, says Gowda - Oct 07, 2011
- BJP aligns with JMM, seeks to form Jharkhand government (Third Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- BJP joins up with JMM again, stakes claim for Jharkhand government (Roundup) - Sep 07, 2010
- With JMM support, BJP stakes claim to form Jharkhand government (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2010