Jethmalani to make up his mind by weekendJune 19th, 2012 - 4:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 19 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP Ram Jethmalani Tuesday said he will “take a final call” on contesting the presidential election by the weekend.
Speaking to IANS from London, Jethmalani also said that former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam should again be persuaded to take on Finance Minister and UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee.
He said he will return to New Delhi by this weekend and that is when he will “take a final call” on his earlier announcement to contest next month’s presidential election.
Jethmalani said he wanted to contest against Mukherjee because the latter had refused to name the Indians who have stashed away black money abroad.
“I oppose Pranab as he refused to reveal the names of those with black money in foreign banks,” Jethmalani said.
“I’m in London now. As soon as I return, I will decide.”
Mukherjee was Friday named the United Progressive Alliance candidate for the presidential election.
Asked if he had the BJP’s support, Jethmalani replied in the affirmative.
“But even if nobody supports me, I have no issues.”
Commenting about Abdul Kalam’s pullout from the presidential race, he said: “We can’t force him to contest but still we should persuade him to reconsider.”
- Kalam out of presidential fight, BJP, Mamata red-faced (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Jethmalani may join presidential race - Jun 16, 2012
- Congress slams BJP, asks others to revisit stand on Pranab - Jun 22, 2012
- Congress MP mocks Mamata over Kalam's backout - Jun 18, 2012
- Kalam out of presidential fight, BJP, Mamata red-faced (Intro Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Would like to see Pranab challenged: Subramanian Swamy - Jun 16, 2012
- Kalam opts out of presidential fight (Second Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- BJP, JD-U not on same page over next president - May 01, 2012
- Congratulations Pranab Da, tweets Omar Abdullah (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Kalam's candidature a closed chapter: Mulayam - Jun 18, 2012
- Kalam may not contest presidential election - Jun 18, 2012
- Kalam congratulates Mukherjee - Jul 23, 2012
- Pranab all set for Rashtrapati Bhavan (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Kalam should not contest presidential poll: Somnath - Jun 16, 2012
- Congress hails Kalam's decision, seeks Mamata's support - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, bjp, black money, final call, finance minister, foreign banks, former president, indians, london, mp, New Delhi, pranab mukherjee, presidential election, presidential race, progressive alliance, pullout, ram jethmalani