JD-U to support Pranab for presidencyJune 21st, 2012 - 3:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 21 (IANS) The Janata Dal-United (JD-U) Thursday announced its support to United Progressive Alliance (UPA) presidential nominee Pranab Mujherjee.
Soon after the BJP pledged its support to former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma, JD-U chief Sharad Yadav said his party “has decided to support Pranab Mukherjee for president”.
He said the JD-U did not want a contest for the post of president and it had tried to convince the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) to go for an unanimous choice.
“Given the present political situation, my party has decided to support Pranab Mukherjee,” Yadav said.
He, however, expressed disappointment that the UPA did not consult all parties to reach a consensus for presidential elections and for talking to other parties only after announcing its candidate.
- JD-U to support Pranab for presidency (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Jaswant Singh as NDA's vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- BJP to discuss vice presidential poll - Jul 14, 2012
- Supported Pranab as NDA did not gain from 2007 contest: Sharad Yadav (Interview) - Jun 23, 2012
- Presidential contest: NDA, Left divided over Pranab; BJP backs Sangma (Roundup) - Jun 21, 2012
- JD-U leader supports Mukherjee - Jun 16, 2012
- Presidential poll: Pranab, Sangma to file papers Thursday - Jun 27, 2012
- Consensus growing in favour of Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Presidential poll divides left, right, centre - Jul 10, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA's vice presidential candidate (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Pranab all set for Rashtrapati Bhavan (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- NDA defers decision on presidential polls (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- BJP backs Sangma for presidential election (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: bjp, consensus, disappointment, janata, jd, june 21, Lok Sabha, national democratic alliance, New Delhi, political situation, pranab mukherjee, presidency, presidential elections, presidential nominee, progressive alliance, sharad yadav, unanimous choice, UPA