JD-U to support Pranab for presidency (Lead)June 21st, 2012 - 4:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 21 (IANS) The Janata Dal-United (JD-U) Thursday announced its support to United Progressive Alliance (UPA) presidential candidate Pranab Mujherjee, saying it was in favour of the president being elected unopposed.
Soon after the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) pledged its support to former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma, JD-U chief Sharad Yadav said his party “has decided to support UPA’s candidate (Pranab Mukherjee) for president”.
Yadav, however, said their support was not to Congress but for developing a consensus on Mukherjee.
“In tune to the present political situation, our support is to Pranab Mukherjee, but we are not supporting Congress,” he said.
He also said that “there is no threat to the alliance (National Democratic Alliance)”.
Taking BJP’s side, the JD-U chief said it was the ruling alliance’s fault that they did not approach the opposition for developing a consensus.
“They should have approached the main opposition party BJP at least. When we made (A.P.J. Abdul) Kalam the candidate, before declaring it, we talked to them (the then opposition),” Yadav said.
While maintaining that the alliance was strong as ever, Yadav said such situations had arisen before.
“We were against Congress and will be. But looking at 2014, a difficult situation may arise with so many small parties. We need some one who knows the nation in the president’s office,” he said.
Yadav also said that a consensus was arrived at on Kalam’s name, and Shiv Sena was also ready.
However, after Kalam backed out, they did not want to support Sangma.
He did not give a reason why the party was not supporting Sangma.
Asked for a clarification over whether they will vote in favour of Mukherjee or abstain, he evaded a direct reply, saying: “People of this country are smart enough to understand what I mean.”
- JD-U to support Pranab for presidency - Jun 21, 2012
- Presidential contest: NDA, Left divided over Pranab; BJP backs Sangma (Roundup) - Jun 21, 2012
- Consensus growing in favour of Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- BJP backs Sangma for presidential election (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- BJP core group to meet today, allies divided over presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Kalam out of presidential fight, BJP, Mamata red-faced (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Divided BJP discusses option of backing Sangma - Jun 17, 2012
- BJP wants Congress to react, NDA meet unlikely before Saturday (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- BJP, JD-U not on same page over next president - May 01, 2012
- Supported Pranab as NDA did not gain from 2007 contest: Sharad Yadav (Interview) - Jun 23, 2012
- NDA decision unlikely before Saturday, cards close to chest - Jun 13, 2012
- Kalam out of presidential fight, BJP, Mamata red-faced (Intro Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Pranab miles ahead as NDA squabbles (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2012
- Presidential poll divides left, right, centre - Jul 10, 2012
- BJP backs Sangma, allies differ (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, bharatiya janata party, bjp, clarification, consensus, favour, jd, june 21, Lok Sabha, main opposition party, national democratic alliance, New Delhi, political situation, pranab mukherjee, presidency, presidential candidate, progressive alliance, reply, sharad yadav, shiv sena