JD-U remains NDA partner: NitishMay 18th, 2009 - 4:25 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, May 18 (IANS) Putting all speculations to rest, Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Monday said his party had no intention of joining the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA).
Nitish Kumar asserted that the JD-U continues to part of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA).
“We will not join the UPA or any other alliance,” Kumar told the media here amid rumours that JD-U was inching closer to UPA.
“We were in the NDA, we are part of the NDA and we will remain with the NDA,” he said.
The JD-U leader Friday, a day before the Lok Sabha election results were announced, said he was ready to support any alliance at the centre that gives Bihar a special status for development.
“We will support whichever party gives Bihar a special status. That will be the basis of our support,” he said at a book launch here.
The BJP-JD-U combine swept the Lok Sabha polls in Bihar winning 32 of the 40 seats. The JD-U got 20 and the BJP 12.
Nitish Kumar said the mandate of Bihar voters was in favour of the JD-U and the BJP and people preferred development over the caste factor that used to decide the polls outcome in the past.
“People voted for good governance, development and peace,” he said.
- War rages in Bihar between BJP, JD-U (Bihar Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- JD-U is with Jaswant Singh: Nitish - Jul 16, 2012
- Congress ready for presidential contest - Jun 20, 2012
- Supported Pranab as NDA did not gain from 2007 contest: Sharad Yadav (Interview) - Jun 23, 2012
- BJP looks upon victory in Bihar as harbinger of national trend - Nov 24, 2010
- Nitish attacks Modi as Shiv Sena backs Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Nitish may back Ansari as vice president (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA choice for vice president (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
- BJP leader walks over to JD-U in Bihar - Jul 03, 2012
- Nitish likely to support Ansari for vice president - Jul 11, 2012
- We will take special status for Bihar: Nitish Kumar - Aug 27, 2011
- Nitish Kumar elected head of NDA legislature party (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Bihar's ruling JD-U is against Modi for PM's post - Sep 18, 2011
- Gakari asks party functionaries, allies to exercise restraint - Jun 26, 2012
- Bihar leaders in war of words over PM candidate - Jun 19, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bihar, bjp, caste, chief minister, development and peace, favour, good governance, intention, jd, lok sabha election, lok sabha election results, lok sabha polls, mandate, national democratic alliance, nitish kumar, preferred development, progressive alliance, rumours, speculations