JD-U MPs threaten to quit if Maharashtra government is not suspendedOctober 30th, 2008 - 7:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 30 (IANS) Janata Dal-United (JD-U) president Sharad Yadav Thursday said his party’s Lok Sabha MPs would resign next week if the central goevrnment did not suspend the Maharashtra government in the aftermath of a series of attacks on people from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. He also demanded a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) inquiry into the killing of Rahul Raj, a Patna Youth, in a Mumbai bus by police Monday and the lynching of Dharamdev Ramnarain Rai, an Uttar Pradesh youth, the next day.
“We want a CBI probe into both the killings and immediate suspension of the Maharashtra government. There should be fresh elections in the state,” Yadav told reporters here.
“We also want a judicial probe in all incidents of violence against north Indians in the state involving (Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief) Raj Thackeray and his party. If our demands are not meet before the Chhath festival, our MPs in the Lok Sabha would resign,” he added.
The Chhath festival, popular especially in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh, will be celebrated Nov 3.
The JD-U, part of the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA), has five members in parliament. It is ruling Bihar in coalition with the BJP.
Its threat comes in the backdrop of a series of attacks in Maharashtra on workers from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh.
- JD-U, Trinamool yet to reach accord in UP - Jan 27, 2012
- BJP, JD-U to meet on presidential candidate - May 02, 2012
- RJD seeks CBI probe in Bihar land scam - Jul 23, 2011
- JD-U to support Pranab for presidency - Jun 21, 2012
- Now opposition guns for Chidambaram, Lok Sabha disrupted - Apr 27, 2012
- NDA allies together on coal scam: Sharad Yadav - Aug 30, 2012
- Pranab miles ahead as NDA squabbles (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2012
- Parliament deadlock as BJP insists on PM's resignation (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- War rages in Bihar between BJP, JD-U (Bihar Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- India needs Pranab as president: Sharad Yadav - Jul 22, 2012
- Under attack, Nitish to probe Bihar land bonanza (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- Most MPs against women's bill: Sharad Yadav (Interview) - Jul 11, 2010
- BJP will not encourage desertions from JD-U in Bihar: Modi - Jul 10, 2012
- BJP leader walks over to JD-U in Bihar - Jul 03, 2012