JD-U leader supports MukherjeeJune 16th, 2012 - 3:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Patna, June 16 (IANS) Coming out in support of Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee’s candidature for presidency, Janata Dal-United leader Shivanand Tiwari Saturday said a “graceful sendoff” should be given to the veteran leader by making him the country’s 13th president.
“A senior and respected leader like Pranab Mukherjee, who is going to retire (from active politics), should be given a graceful sendoff,” Tiwari told reporters in Patna, adding that it was his personal view.
JD-U cheif Sharad Yadav told reporters in New Delhi that the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) will meet Sunday and decide its stand on the presidential poll.
“It must have been his personal view. The NDA will meet tomorrow and decide on our stand,” Yadav said about Tiwari’s statement.
JD-U is the second largest partner in the NDA and the party shares the power in Bihar with the BJP.
Tiwari also said that it was clear that Mukherjee will win now that the Samajwadi Party and the Bahujan Samaj Party have offered him support.
Mukherjee was officially announced the UPA candidate for presidency Friday.
At the NDA meeting Friday morning, JD-U chief Sharad Yadav opposed the combine extending support to former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam’s candidature. The JD-U had also been miffed with the BJP over delay in deciding the strategy for the poll.
- Consensus growing in favour of Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- BJP core group to meet today, allies divided over presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Pranab all set for Rashtrapati Bhavan (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- BJP discusses Sangma, says aims bigger than presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Jaswant Singh as NDA's vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- BJP, allies will pitch vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- BJP wants Congress to react, NDA meet unlikely before Saturday (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Gakari asks party functionaries, allies to exercise restraint - Jun 26, 2012
- NDA decision unlikely before Saturday, cards close to chest - Jun 13, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- BJP to discuss vice presidential poll - Jul 14, 2012
- NDA defers decision on presidential polls (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA's vice presidential candidate (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- JD-U miffed about last minute news of NDA meet - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: 13th president, abdul kalam, bahujan samaj party, bihar, candidature, cheif, finance minister, former president, friday morning, janata, jd, national democratic alliance, patna, personal view, pranab mukherjee, presidential poll, Samajwadi Party, sharad yadav, shivanand, veteran leader