JD-U leader denied anticipatory bail in kidnapping case

June 9th, 2009 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS  

Patna, June 9 (IANS) A Bihar court Tuesday refused anticipatory bail to Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader Vijay Krishna and his son Chanakya, the main accused in the kidnapping-cum-murder of businessman Satyendra Kumar Singh.
The Patna Civil Court refused anticipatory bail to the JD-U leader and his son after hearing their petition. The court also directed the police to submit the diary of the case to the court in the next hearing within fifteen days.

The ruling comes as a setback to Vijay Krishna, a former MP, who was evading arrest in the case and had filed an anticipatory bail petition Monday in the court, claiming he was being falsely implicated in the case. Vijay Krishna and his son reportedly went underground last week after the statements of his arrested driver and guard were recorded in the court.

The family of Satyendra Kumar Singh alleged the delay in arresting them was due to “pressure” as the two were considered close to Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.

Singh, a 50-year-old transporter, also associated with the JD-U, was kidnapped in the last week of May. His wife, Laxmi Devi and daughter Sweety Singh have alleged that Vijay Krishna, a former MP, and his son were directly involved in the kidnapping and demanded they be arrested.

Singh’s wife and daughter, along with some other relatives, met the chief minister last week and sought his help.

“We fail to understand the delay in arresting Vijay Krishna and his son. Police have evidence against them in the case. Why have they not been arrested,” Singh’s daughter said, charging the police with inaction.

Additional Director General of Police (Headquarters) Neelmani said that police have some clues and the investigation is on following the arrest of Vijay Krishna’s domestic help Gagan Kumar, who has given vital information to the police.

Neelmani said Gagan Kumar had revealed that Singh was killed the same day he was kidnapped, at an apartment owned by Chanakya, and the body thrown into river Ganga. Gagan also told police that Vijay Krishna was present in the flat at that time.

Police pressed sniffer dogs into service to trace the body of Singh, but failed. A six member team of divers from the Indian Navy began operations Monday to trace the body from the river. “The first day, the divers could not find the body despite an intensive search. They began searching again Tuesday morning,” Sanjay Kumar, the deputy superintendent of police (town) said.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Politics |