JD-U, BJP leading in BiharMay 16th, 2009 - 12:34 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, May 16 (IANS) The Janata Dal-United (JD-U) and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) combine was leading in 27 of Bihar’s 40 parliamentary seats as counting of votes cast for the Lok Sabha elections was underway Saturday, poll officials said.
Counting began simultaneously at 8 a.m. in all district headquarters. By 10 a.m., the JD-U and its alliance partner BJP were leading in 27 seats, the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) was leading in five, and the Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) and Congress in one each.
RJD chief and Railway Minister Lalu Prasad was leading in both Saran and Pataliputra Lok Sabha constituencies.
LJP chief and Steel Minister Ram Vilas Paswan was trailing behind Ram Sundar Das of the JD-U in Hajipur constituency.
Veteran Socialist leader George Fernandes, who is contesting as an independent after the JD-U refused to nominate him, was also trailing behind Jai Narayan Nishad of the JD-U in Muzaffarpur.
Congress’s Meira Kumar was trailing by a small margin in Sasaram constituency. TV star and Congress candidate from Patna Saheb Shekhar Suman was trailing behind the BJP’s Shatrughan Sinha.
The BJP’s Syed Shahnawaz Hussain was leading in Bhagalpur, while his party colleague Raghuvansh Prasad Singh was leading in Vaishali.
- JD-U, BJP take early lead in Bihar (Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- JD-U, BJP claim victory in Bihar, opposition struggles (Third Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Nitish Kumar's alliance heads for victory in Bihar (Second Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Bihar polls: Test of governance, rule of law in phase three - Oct 27, 2010
- JD-U and BJP sweep Bihar, RJD and Congress humiliated (Fourth Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Bihar ready for round one of elections - Oct 20, 2010
- Jailed criminal from Nitish's camp wins - Nov 24, 2010
- Bihar poll-second phase: Caste arithmetic to play decisive role (Curtain Raiser) - Oct 23, 2010
- Lalu congratulates Nitish, but not BJP - Nov 24, 2010
- Third phase of Bihar polls end with 53 percent voting (Evening Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Will support Nitish, but introspect reasons for defeat: Lalu, Paswan - Nov 24, 2010
- Campaigning ends for third phase of Bihar polls - Oct 26, 2010
- Campaign ends for first phase of Bihar polls - Oct 19, 2010
- BJP observers to elect Legislature Party leader in Bihar - Nov 25, 2010
- Lalu to meet election panel over irregularities in EVMs - Dec 22, 2010
Tags: bhagalpur, bharatiya janata party, congress candidate, george fernandes, lalu prasad, ljp, lok sabha constituencies, lok sabha elections, meira kumar, muzaffarpur, nishad, pataliputra, railway minister, ram vilas paswan, rjd, shahnawaz, shatrughan, shatrughan sinha, shekhar suman, socialist leader