JD-S vice president Bapu Kaldate deadNovember 17th, 2011 - 12:14 pm ICT by IANS
Aurangabad (Maharashtra), Nov 17 (IANS) Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S) vice president Bapu Kaldate died here early Thursday morning, a family friend said. He was 86.
He is survived by his educationist wife Sudha and their two daughters Kanchan and Anupama, said the family’s friend and neighbour for over five decades, Nishikant Bhalerao.
According to Bhalerao, Kaldate had been ailing for the past couple of months from multiple problems related to lungs, liver and eyesight.
His condition suddenly deteriorated two days ago and he was rushed to the Mahatma Gandhi Mission Hospital, Aurangabad, where he breathed his last around 12.30 a.m. Thursday.
Kaldate was elected to the Lok Sabha in 1977, twice to the Rajya Sabha and thrice to the Maharashtra legislature from different constituencies in the state. Since 2006, he was the vice president of the JD-S, led by former prime minister H.D. Deve Gowda.
Born Dec 1, 1929 to Ram Rao and Radha at Isthae in the backward Beed district of Maharashtra, Kaldate received his primary education from Pandharpur High School and pursued his secondary education from T.R. Ayurvedic College, Pune.
Having a passion for social work from his youth days, Kaldate actively participated in the Quit India Movement led by Mahatma Gandhi in 1942 and was imprisoned six times on various occasions.
He also took part in the Samyukta Maharashtra Movement as well as agitations against inflation, farmers problems in the state and other major issues.
During the Emergency, he played an active role and was sent to jail for nearly 15 months. After coming out, he joined the ‘Kisan Dandi Yatra’ in 1980.
- Abu Jindal's mother says he is innocent - Jun 28, 2012
- Two killed in Maharashtra road accident - Aug 13, 2011
- Gujarat riots spurred Jundal's radicalisation: Investigators - Jul 11, 2012
- Gujarat kickstarts golden jubilee celebrations - May 01, 2010
- PM, vice president attend prayer meet at Gandhi Smriti - Jan 30, 2011
- British envoy's wife to retrace Dandi march to help poor - Nov 15, 2010
- Key suspect in Mumbai terror attack held (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Indian in US to fast in support of Anna Hazare - Apr 08, 2011
- Nation pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on his 141st birth anniversary - Oct 02, 2010
- Abu Jundal sent to judicial custody till Sep 24 - Sep 10, 2012
- Jundal's questioning extended till Sep 10 - Sep 03, 2012
- Gandhi's Dandi March inspires mega art project - Nov 09, 2010
- 13 Pandharpur pilgrims crushed by a speeding truck - Jul 25, 2011
- Congress likely to re-nominate Hamid Ansari - Jul 09, 2012
- Dandi March II in US against corruption in India (With Images) - Mar 28, 2011
Tags: 15 months, anupama, ayurvedic college, dandi yatra, eyesight, family friend, former prime minister, india movement, kanchan, Lok Sabha, maharashtra legislature, mahatma gandhi, neighbour, primary education, radha, rajya sabha, secondary education, six times, sudha, thursday morning