JD-S in Kerala heading for a splitApril 23rd, 2009 - 8:55 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, April 23 (IANS) With sharp divisions in the five-member legislature party of the Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S) in Kerala over links with the ruling Left Democratic Front (LDF), it appears that it is only matter of time before the party’s state unit splits.
The party’s relations with the LDF worsened when the JD-S state unit chief and sitting MP from Kozhikode M.P.Veerendra Kumar was denied the seat by the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M). He was, instead, offered the newly set up Wayanad seat, which he declined.
Expressing its dissatisfaction, the JD-S asked party legislator and state Transport Minister Mathew T.Thomas to resign from the cabinet.
Though Thomas complied, he and another party legislator, Jose Thettyil, dashed to Mangalore early this month to meet party’s national president H.D. Deva Gowda to convey their stand that they do not wish to walk out of the LDF.
While the faction led by Veerendra Kumar actively campaigned against all the LDF candidates in the April 16 Lok Sabha polls, Thomas and Thettyil campaigned for the LDF candidates.
The two also have the support of the majority faction of the CPI-M, led by state party secretary Pinarayi Vijayan, who has already announced that soon after the Lok Sabha polls, a new minister from the JD-S will be inducted. However, both Veerendra Kumar and Chief Minister V.S Achuthanandan have ruled this out.
Reacting to this, Thettyil told reporters Thursday that nobody has authorised Kumar to say that the party does not need to have any minister.
“There are issues for our party in the LDF and the national leadership has asked Kumar to sort out that. He is not authorised to decide on whether our party needs a minister or not. Something is fishy in Kumar saying that the party does not need a minister,” said Thettyil who is widely tipped to join the cabinet.
With the JD-S’s chief whip M.K. Premnath Thursday issuing a whip, the JD-S seems set for a split as as both Thomas and Thettyil are defiant on their stand.
- No problems in alliance, all united: UDF - May 01, 2012
- JD-S Kerala unit to seek disqualification of 3 legislators - Nov 22, 2010
- Achuthanandan remark upsets LDF ally - Mar 19, 2010
- Pandemonium in Kerala assembly, opposition walks out - Mar 22, 2010
- VS-Vijayan differences out in open again - Apr 22, 2009
- Kerala unit of Janata Dal-S in disarray - Apr 01, 2009
- Congress-led UDF gets new ally in Kerala - Sep 22, 2009
- Poll campaign gains momentum in Kerala - Mar 31, 2011
- Kerala's Left Front impasse over seat sharing continues - Mar 17, 2009
- Opposition leaders visit encroached land in Wayanad - Feb 12, 2010
- Kerala cabinet set for expansion - Aug 08, 2009
- Kerala's Left Front seat sharing deal still in limbo - Mar 16, 2009
- Govt.'s move to allow more FDI in agri sector will hurt farmer's interests: Karat - Apr 01, 2011
- Kerala's LDF finalises seat sharing plan, JD-S walks out (Lead) - Mar 19, 2009
- JD-S minister quits Kerala cabinet over seat sharing (Lead) - Mar 16, 2009
Tags: chief minister, chief whip, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, democratic front, deva, janata, kozhikode, legislator, lok sabha polls, member legislature, national leadership, national president, party secretary, pinarayi vijayan, premnath, t thomas, transport minister, unit chief, v s achuthanandan