Jayalalithaa to stake claim Sunday to form government (Lead)May 14th, 2011 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 14 (IANS) AIADMK chief J. Jayalalithaa will meet Tamil Nadu Governor Surjit Singh Barnala Sunday to stake her claim to form the next government in the state, two days after her party’s landslide victory in the assembly polls.
Speaking to reporters here, Jayalalithaa said she would be meeting the governor Sunday.
According to her, details like the date of the swearing-in will be decided after the meeting. She said the party would not belie the trust the people reposed with their massive mandate.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi submitted his resignation to Barnala Friday.
The governor has asked him to continue till alternate arrangements are made.
The AIADMK is likely to call a meeting of all its newly-elected 150 legislators here Sunday.
“The meeting is likely to be held at the party headquarters here tomorrow (Sunday). The swearing-in of our leader (Jayalalithaa) is likely to be Monday at the University Centenary Hall,” V. Maitreyan, a member of parliament, told IANS.
The meeting will take stock of the election results and also elect Jayalalithaa as leader of the party in the new assembly.
On the massive mandate for the AIADMK-led front, Maitreyan said: “It is a positive vote for a winning alliance. People have reposed faith in our leader’s ability. The vote in our favour is also because of the omissions and commissions of the DMK government.”
AIADMK legislator V.P. Kalairajan told IANS: “The massive victory is due to people’s faith in our leader’s ability in providing good and efficient government.”
The party contested 160 seats and won 150 of them. In nearly 80 constituencies, the AIADMK was in direct contest with the ruling DMK.
The AIADMK-led front has won 204 of the total 234 seats in the assembly.
- Jayalalithaa to stake claim to form government Sunday (Second Lead) - May 14, 2011
- After win, AIADMK legislators to meet in Chennai (Second Lead correcting figure in para 1 and 6) - May 14, 2011
- After win, AIADMK legislators to meet in Chennai (Lead) - May 14, 2011
- After win, AIADMK legislators to meet in Chennai - May 14, 2011
- Jayalalithaa to be sworn in chief minister Monday - May 15, 2011
- AIADMK wave sinks DMK in Tamil Nadu (Roundup) - May 13, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi congratulates Jayalalithaa on massive win (Lead) - May 15, 2011
- Jayalalithaa sworn-in Tamil Nadu chief minister (Third Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Jayalalithaa sworn in as Tamil Nadu chief minister (Second Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Chief minister again, Jayalalithaa rolls out freebies (Roundup) - May 16, 2011
- Chief minister again, Jayalalithaa rolls out freebies (Night Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Jayalalithaa deputes two MPs to attend Badal's swearing-in - Mar 10, 2012
- Sonia congratulates Jayalalithaa on massive poll win - May 15, 2011
- Two AIADMK MPs to attend Modi fast - Sep 16, 2011
- Jayalalithaa takes oath as Tamil Nadu chief minister (Lead) - May 16, 2011
Tags: aiadmk chief, alternate arrangements, assembly polls, barnala, centenary hall, chief minister, constituencies, dmk government, efficient government, j jayalalithaa, landslide victory, legislator, legislators, mandate, massive victory, member of parliament, party headquarters, resignation, stake claim, surjit singh