Jayalalithaa to head 34-member governmentMay 16th, 2011 - 12:26 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 15 (IANS) AIADMK chief J. Jayalalithaa will head a 34-member ministry after taking over as the chief minister of Tamil Nadu, an official statement said late Sunday.
Jayalalithaa will be sworn in Monday afternoon at the Madras University Centenary Hall here.
Governor S.S. Barnala Sunday approved the allocation of portfolios as recommended by the chief minister-designate.
At least 25 members of the cabinet are new faces.
Compared to the outgoing DMK government, the AIADMK government will have four ministers more.
Jayalalithaa will hold the home, police, general administration and prevention of corruption departments, among others.
Former chief minister O. Pannerselvam has been allotted the finance portfolio while another senior leader, K.A. Sengottaiyan, gets agriculture.
Natham R. Viswanathan will look after power, prohibition and excise.
Apart from Jayalalithaa, the AIADMK government will have two women ministers — S. Gokula Indira (commercial taxes and registration) and Selvi Ramajayam (social welfare).
The following are other ministers and their portfolios
C. Shanmugavelu - industries
S.S. Krishnamoorthy - food
C. Karuppasamy - animal husbandry
K.P. Munisamy - municipal administration, rural development
R. Vaithilingam - housing and urban development
Sellur K. Raju - cooperation
P. Palaniappan - higher education
K.T. Pachamal - forests
Edappadi K. Palanisamy - highways and minor ports
C. Ve. Shanmugam - school education
S.P. Velumani - special programme implementation
T.K.M. Chinnayya - backward classes
M.C. Sampath - rural industries
G. Senthamizhan - information
K.V. Ramalingam - public works
S.P. Shanmuganathan - hindu religious and charitable endowments
P. Thangamani - revenue
B.V. Ramanaa - handlooms and textiles
R.B. Udhayakumar - information and technology
N. Subramanian - adi dravidar and tribal welfare
V. Senthil Balaji - transport
N. Mariyam Pichai - environment
K.A. Jayapal - fisheries
E. Subaya - law, courts and prisons
Budhichandhiran - tourism
S.T. Chellapandian - labour
V.S. Vijay - health
N.R. Sivapathi - Sports and Youth Welfare
- Major reshuffle in Tamil Nadu cabinet - Nov 04, 2011
- Jayalalithaa reshuffles cabinet - Jun 27, 2011
- Jayalalithaa rehuffles cabinet, drops a minister - Jul 03, 2011
- Jayalalithaa drops two ministers, inducts two - Jan 27, 2012
- Jayalalithaa re-allocates four ministers' portfolios - Jan 18, 2012
- Jayalalithaa removes Sasikala, others from AIADMK - Dec 19, 2011
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's new team - Jul 12, 2011
- Jayalalithaa sacks confidant Sasikala & Co (Night Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Two former DMK ministers raided - Feb 10, 2012
- Tamil Nadu reverts to New Year in Chithirai again - Aug 23, 2011
- Jayalalithaa has no right to talk of law and order: DMK - Apr 03, 2011
- Stalin's remarks on Jayalalithaa not derogatory, says DMK - Apr 12, 2011
- Jayalalithaa condoles minister's death - May 23, 2011
- Jayalalithaa sacks long-time confidant Sasikala (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Tamil Nadu agriculture minister loses - May 13, 2011
Tags: aiadmk chief, animal husbandry, barnala, centenary hall, charitable endowments, dmk government, finance portfolio, gokula, housing and urban development, j jayalalithaa, madras university, mariyam, member ministry, minor ports, natham, pichai, programme implementation, r viswanathan, tribal welfare, women ministers