Jayalalithaa orders Sri Lanka football teams to returnSeptember 2nd, 2012 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 2 (IANS) Reinforcing her anti-Sri Lankan stance, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa Sunday ordered the return of two football teams from the island nation that are in the city to play friendly matches.
Jayalalithaa also ordered not to hold any football matches involving Sri Lankan players in the state.
She also ordered the suspension of the stadium officer at the Nehru Stadium here for allowing the football team from Royal College of Colombo to play a friendly match against the Chennai Customs football team Friday.
Condemning the central government for permitting Sri Lankan football teams to come to India to enhance their skills, Jayalalithaa said: “Such an action is an insult to the people of Tamil Nadu.”
According to her, the management of Royal College of Colombo (RCC) contacted an official of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) here to organise a friendly football match with the teams here.
The RBI official facilitated such a match and the Sri Lankan team came here Thursday and played the match Friday at the Nehru stadium.
She said the stadium officer permitted the match on an oral request from the RBI official.
“The stadium officer has no power to permit any match at the Nehru Stadium. Only the Sports Development Authority of Tamil Nadu has such a power. The stadium officer has demeaned the sentiments of the Tamil people by exercising an authority that he does not have,” Jayalaltihaa said.
The other football team from Sri Lanka is from Hilborn International School comprising of eight players and a coach who are here to play a match against Velammal International School.
- Jayalalithaa's Sri Lanka muddle will have consequences (Comment) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sri Lanka issues travel warning for southern India - Sep 04, 2012
- Protest against Sri Lankan tourists near Trichy - Sep 04, 2012
- 175 Sri Lankan tourists to return following protests (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Attack on Lankan visitors unacceptable, says Karunanidhi - Sep 05, 2012
- India to send back Sri Lanka Air Force personnel - Jul 06, 2012
- Rajapaksa should tried for war crimes: Jayalalithaa - May 13, 2011
- 'Attacks on Indian fishermen not treated as national issue' - Mar 17, 2012
- AIADMK, DMK want Sri Lankan airmen to go (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Attacks on fishermen should be seen as provocation: Jayalalithaa - Oct 09, 2011
- Fringe pro-LTTE groups behind Tamil Nadu violence: Sri Lankan envoy (Interview) - Sep 06, 2012
- Do not train Sri Lankans: Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sri Lankan Tamils must live dignified lives: Jayalalithaa - Jun 14, 2011
- Send back Sri Lankan defence personnel: Jayalalithaa - Jul 16, 2012
- Curtail visits by Sri Lankan dignitaries: Jayalalithaa - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: bank of india, central government, chennai customs, chief minister, colombo, football match, football team, football teams, friendly match, insult, island nation, j jayalalithaa, nehru stadium, oral request, rcc, reserve bank of india, sentiments, sports development, sri lanka, sri lankan team