Jayalalithaa orders action against school bus operatorsJuly 26th, 2012 - 3:27 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 26 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J.Jayalalithaa Thursday ordered stern action against those operating defective school buses, a day after a seven-year-old girl slipped down to the road through a hole under her bus seat and was killed.
Jayalalithaa expressed her deep grief at the girl’s death and announced a solatium of Rs.100,000 to her family.
“I have ordered the police and school education authorities to take severe action against those who are responsible for operating a defective vehicle as school bus on a lease,” she said.
S.Shruti, who was returning home from her school in Tambaram city suburbs, was seated on the sixth row behind the driver in the school bus.
When she got up to get down, she slipped down to the road through a massive hole under her seat and was crushed to death by the same bus.
The cardboard which was used to cover the hole under her seat gave in under her weight as she stood up, and resulted in her death.
Unaware of the incident, driver Seeman continued to drive while the passersby along the road were horrified to witness the girl being crushed to death.
The driver was thrashed by the people as he refused to believe that such an accident had occurred. The mob set the bus ablaze.
The authorities of Zion Matriculation School denied any responsibility and blamed the bus contractor for the vehicle’s condition.
Incidentally, the vehicle was given a fitness certificate by the transport department only six months ago.
The police have arrested the school bus driver.
- Court queries school girl's death in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Court demands criminal action in school girl's death case (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Tamil Nadu school girl death: Motor vehicle inspector arrested - Jul 27, 2012
- Toddler run over by school bus - Feb 13, 2012
- Week after leg crushed by bus, girl dies - Jul 24, 2012
- Locals protest after school bus runs down class 9 girl - Feb 17, 2011
- Two-year-old crushed under school bus - Sep 25, 2010
- Azamgarh tense after student's death in accident - Nov 04, 2011
- Tamil Nadu panel to look into uniform education system - Jun 17, 2011
- PM, Jayalalithaa condole deaths in train fire (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Student's death: Bus driver, conductor arrested - Jun 28, 2011
- Child left alone in school bus, dies - Aug 05, 2011
- Nine die as bus driver goes berserk in busy Pune (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Minor girl crushed to death in Delhi - Jul 15, 2011
- Engineering student killed in road accident - Mar 09, 2011
Tags: bus contractor, bus seat, cardboard, chief minister, city suburbs, defective vehicle, education authorities, j jayalalithaa, matriculation, old girl, passersby, returning home, school bus driver, school bus operators, school buses, school education, shruti, stern action, transport department, zion