Jayalalithaa hits out at DMK government on Cauvery issueJuly 17th, 2010 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 17 (IANS) AIADMK chief J. Jayalalithaa Saturday charged the DMK government in Tamil Nadu with not taking any steps to make the Karnataka government release water from the Cauvery river in accordance with the tribunal’s ruling.
In a statement, the former chief minister said: “The Cauvery Water Tribunal (CWT) had given its final award in 2007. It is nearly three and half years and the DMK government has not taken any steps for implementation of the award.”
On the other hand, she said her government had taken steps to notify the Tribunal’s interim award in the official gazette in 1991 after winning a case against Karnataka on the subject.
She said the land under Kuruvai cultivation has come down just 53,000 hectares from the normal 300,000 hectares.
Justifying her description of the DMK government as minority, Jayalalithaa said: “In the 234-seat assembly a party should win 118 seats to form a government on its own. In the 2006 elections no party was able to get absolute majority and the DMK with the help of other parties formed the government.”
She said had the DMK co-opted the Congress in the government it would have been known as a coalition government.
Refuting Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi’s argument that higher fund allocation was made during the DMK period for various departments as compared to the AIADMK rule, she said increased allocation was mainly due to inflation/price rise.
According to her, the increased allocation to the state police department denotes the worsening law and order situation under the government as compared to her rule.
- Centre ignoring livelihood issues: Jayalalithaa - Jul 24, 2012
- Jayalalithaa to take on DMK ahead of next year's assembly polls - Jul 21, 2010
- AIADMK will decide next PM candidate, says Jayalalithaa (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
- 'Tamil Nadu won't allow Mekedatu dam across Cauvery' - Mar 30, 2012
- Water from Mettur Dam to be released June 6 - May 22, 2011
- Cauvery award: Both Tamil Nadu, Karnataka unhappy (Roundup) - Sep 20, 2012
- Will move apex court again on Cauvery water: Jayalalithaa - Sep 19, 2012
- Karunanidhi fooling people over Cauvery water: Jayalalithaa - Oct 28, 2010
- Appoint chairman for Cauvery panel: Jayalalithaa - Apr 20, 2012
- Jayalalithaa: Tamil Nadu's iron woman is chief minister once more - May 13, 2011
- Tamil Nadu hikes bus fares, milk prices - Nov 17, 2011
- Convene meeting of Cauvery River Authority: Jayalalithaa - May 19, 2012
- MDMK quits AIADMK alliance, to boycott elections (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
- Jayalalithaa urges people to vote DMK out - Aug 14, 2010
- AIADMK sweeps Tamil Nadu, DMK stunned (Second Lead) - May 13, 2011
Tags: 2006 elections, absolute majority, aiadmk chief, cauvery river, cauvery water tribunal, chief minister, coalition government, cwt, fund allocation, hectares, interim award, j jayalalithaa, july 17, karnataka government, law and order, m karunanidhi, official gazette, release water, seat assembly, state police department