Jayalalithaa faults Karunanidhi on freebies for poorJanuary 4th, 2011 - 10:38 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 4 (IANS) AIADMK general secretary J. Jayalalithaa Tuesday came down heavily on Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi’s remarks of continuing with freebies for the poor as long as they were there. In a statement issued here, Jayalalithaa said: “By making this assertion, Karunanidhi was not expressing his concern for the poor in the state. He was only admitting that he does not have any scheme for the eradication of poverty.”
She charged that Karunanidhi wanted the poor in the state to remain poor so that he could keep bribing them with sops and freebies to buy their votes.
Jayalalithaa said arbitrarily giving away freebies to the poor without strengthening the basic infrastructure was like printing currency notes without a corresponding back-up in gold.
“Today, the situation in Tamil Nadu is such that while rice is available for the poor at Re.1 a kg through the public distribution, onions cost as much as Rs.90 a kg. All vegetables cost over Rs.50 a kg while pulses used for sambhar cost close to Rs.100 a kg,” she said.
- Cash for votes:Bribes or sharing of spoils? - Apr 20, 2011
- Tamil Nadu freebie wars: AIADMK ups DMK's promises - Mar 24, 2011
- On one year of Jayalalithaa's rule, opinions vary - May 16, 2012
- Campaigning in Tamil Nadu ends Monday - Apr 10, 2011
- Campaigning ends in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Apr 11, 2011
- With AIADMK win, voters eye freebies of laptops, gold mangalsutra - May 13, 2011
- Court notice to Tamil Nadu government on freebies - Jul 22, 2011
- Jayalalithaa offers 20 litres of water, 20 kg of free rice to BPL families in Tamil Nadu - Mar 24, 2011
- Stoves, not fans, for women in the hills - Sep 18, 2011
- Chief minister again, Jayalalithaa rolls out freebies (Night Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Supreme Court to hear Tamil Nadu's freebie case - Sep 16, 2011
- Jayalalithaa gives away cattle to laptops to poor - Sep 15, 2011
- DMK offers free rice, grinders to poor, laptops to students - Mar 20, 2011
- Chief minister again, Jayalalithaa rolls out freebies (Roundup) - May 16, 2011
- 100 days later, Jayalalithaa invites praise and scorn - Aug 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,