Jayalalithaa chairs state cabinet meeting ahead of budgetMarch 5th, 2012 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 5 (IANS) The Tamil Nadu cabinet, headed by Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa, met here Monday and discussed matters relating to various departments ahead of the state budget for the next fiscal, power cuts and other issues, officials said.
According to officials, the issue of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP), though not on the official agenda, might have come up for discussion.
The cabinet meeting that lasted more than one hour at the state secretariat was attended by all ministers.
The ministers who were busy campaigning for the AIADMK party for the March 18 Sankarankoil by-poll, were called to the state capital to attend the cabinet meeting.
The Indian nuclear industry had been eagerly expecting the cabinet meeting to discuss the KNPP problem. A state panel gave its report assuring the plant’s safety as well as other suggestions a couple of days back.
Jayalalithaa also met the leaders of People’s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) spearheading the anti-KNPP struggle.
India’s atomic power plant operator, Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) is building two 1000 MW reactors at Kudankulam in Tirunelveli district, around 650 km from here.
- Kudankulam officials to attend power sector meeting Thursday - Mar 22, 2012
- Expert panel on Kudankulam to meet protestors - Feb 17, 2012
- Green signal for Kudankulam, Rs.500 crore for region (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- 'Tamil Nadu power situation to ease from June' - Mar 14, 2012
- Major pre-fuel loading exercise over at Kudankulam - Sep 12, 2012
- Kudankulam parties welcome Jayalalithaa's announcement - Feb 04, 2012
- Situation calm in Kudankulam, more protestors arrested (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Tamil Nadu okays Kudankulam n-plant - Mar 19, 2012
- It's David vs Goliath at Kudankulam: Anti-nuke activist - Feb 28, 2012
- Activists brief Jayalalithaa on Kudankulam hazards (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Kudankulam activists brief Jayalalithaa on hazards, seek new panel (Second Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Central panel to finalise report on Kudankulam n-plant - Dec 13, 2011
- Say no to more Kudankulam units, Jayalalithaa urged - Jul 18, 2012
- Senior cop's Kudankulam visit sparks speculation - Mar 02, 2012
- Democratic protests against Kudankulam stifled: Prashant Bhushan - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: atomic power plant, cabinet meeting, campaigning, chairs, chief minister, couple of days, india ltd, j jayalalithaa, npcil, nuclear energy, nuclear industry, nuclear power corporation, nuclear power project, power plant operator, reactors, secretariat, state budget, state cabinet, state secretariat, tamil nadu