Jayalalitha invites allies to tea; Left, MDMK keep awayMarch 21st, 2009 - 12:10 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 20 (IANS) AIADMK boss J. Jayalalitha Friday hosted a tea party for small political outfits that have pledged support to the state-level front led by her and includes the two Left parties and the MDMK.
However, the Left parties and the MDMK were conspicuous by their absence at the do.
In another development, Dalit outfit VCK headed by Thol Thirumavalavan announced its decision to continue in the ruling DMK-led Democratic Progressive Alliance (DPA).
The decision came after a meeting of the party’s central committee here.
The party had already announced that it would contest from the Chidambaram constituency.
Thirumavalavan had said Tuesday that he expected to be on the same side as the PMK - presently part of the United Progressive Alliance coalition at the centre but yet undecided on continuing its tie-up with the DPA.
Both the AIADMK and the DMK are courting the PMK as well as the actor-turned-politician Vijaykanth-led DMDK.
While DMDK leaders are in New Delhi to finalise alliances, PMK leaders are keeping both the sides guessing.
After VCK volunteers assaulted Congress workers in December over the centre’s alleged pro-Colombo-regime stand, UPA mainstays had opposed the inclusion of the VCK in the DPA.
- DMK-PMK in pact for Tamil Nadu elections (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- AIADMK in seat-sharing deal with Muslim party - Feb 20, 2011
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- Yet to decide on joining DMK-led front: PMK - Jan 31, 2011
- DMK dumps Congress for local body polls - Sep 15, 2011
- DMDK fields its own mayoral candidates - Sep 23, 2011
- AIADMK discusses seat sharing differences with allies - Mar 18, 2011
- DMK allots 10 seats to VCK - Mar 01, 2011
- DMDK, CPI-M tie up for Tamil Nadu local polls - Sep 27, 2011
- Campaigning ends in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Apr 11, 2011
- Campaigning in Tamil Nadu ends Monday - Apr 10, 2011
- AIADMK, PMK now target Tamil Nadu, Puducherry governments - Mar 30, 2009
- DMK, Congress in row over seat sharing (Evening Lead) - Mar 05, 2011
- DMK-PMK in pact for Tamil Nadu elections - Feb 18, 2011
- Indian MP refused entry into Sri Lanka - Feb 22, 2011
Tags: actor turned politician, aiadmk, alliances, allies, central committee, congress workers, constituency, inclusion, jayalalitha, left parties, mainstays, mdmk, New Delhi, pmk, progressive alliance, regime, s central, tea party, vijaykanth, volunteers