Jaya Bachchan, Shinde trade words in Rajya SabhaAugust 9th, 2012 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 9 (IANS) Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde Thursday found himself on the backfoot during a discussion in the Rajya Sabha on the violence in Assam when he told Samajwadi Party (SP) member and actor Jaya Bachchan that it was “not a filmy issue”.
The comment enraged Bachchan and several other members, prompting Shinde to say that she was like his sister and that the remark should be deleted.
Trouble began when the home minister, who was replying to a debate on Assam violence, was interrupted by Bachchan, a well known film actor and MP from Uttar Pradesh.
Asking her to let him complete his reply, Shinde said: “Listen to me, this is not a filmy issue.”
An outraged Bachchan retorted: “I strongly object to this comment.”
She was backed by Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley, who wanted the comment to be deleted.
“This is a house where people, who are achievers in a lot of fields, become members. Jayaji is an achiever in her field, the home minister of India cannot use it as a taunt,” Jaitley said.
Amid the uproar from SP and other opposition members, Shinde tried to clarify what he meant. “I know her whole family, I respect her a lot. I am also from Mumbai.”
He also said that the way he was interrupted him was unparliamentary.
The actor-turned-politician refused to be pacified. “I cannot accept this,” Bachchan said.
Shinde then said: “I apologise, she is my sister.” He agreed that the remark should be deleted from the records.
- Shinde forced to apologise to Jaya Bachchan in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Shinde apologises for 'filmy' remark against Bachchan (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- BJP adjournment motion on Assam violence rejected - Aug 08, 2012
- BJP motion on Assam violence rejected (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Shinde seeks united effort for Assam peace, BJP slams vote-bank politics (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Common duty to work for Assam: Shinde - Aug 09, 2012
- PM speaks to Karnataka CM - Aug 16, 2012
- Aggressive Sonia spurs Congress, forces Advani to retract (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Shinde condemns Assam violence - Aug 08, 2012
- BJP backs government on Pakistan-based elements stoking violence - Aug 20, 2012
- Northeast exodus: Pakistan asks India to provide evidence - Aug 20, 2012
- Congress importing illegal migrants in Assam: Jaitley - Aug 09, 2012
- Action only against sites spreading rumours: Shinde - Aug 24, 2012
- Fence entire Bangladesh border, opposition says (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Online rumours on Assam riots terror handiwork: Shinde - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: achiever, achievers, actor turned politician, assam, backfoot, film actor, home minister of india, jaya bachchan, leader of opposition, minister of india, mp, New Delhi, opposition members, rajya sabha, reply, sushilkumar shinde, taunt, uproar, violence