Jaswant Singh as NDA’s vice presidential candidate (Lead)July 16th, 2012 - 2:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 16 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) Monday named senior BJP leader Jaswant Singh as its candidate for the vice presidential poll, setting up a contest with ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate and incumbent Hamid Ansari.The name of Jaswant Singh, who has served as the finance, external affairs and defence minister, was announced by senior BJP leader L.K. Advani at a press conference here.
“We have unanimously decided that Jaswant Singh will be our vice presidential candidate,” Advani said, soon after the NDA meeting to finalise the name of its nominee ended at his residence here.
The vice presidential election will be held Aug 7.
Advani noted that the NDA had also considered the name of Sharad Yadav, but the Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader refused to accept the nomination.
The BJP leader said the NDA had decided to contest against a second term for Ansari, as “we do not want to give a walk-over” to the UPA.
He also noted that the NDA has reservations over Ansari’s candidature considering that he had abruptly adjourned the Rajya Sabha when the house was debating the Lokpal bill last year.
The NDA meeting came two days after UPA decided to re-nominate Ansari.
The BJP, which Saturday had decided to fight the vice presidential election, held consultations with its allies to decide the NDA candidate amid speculation that key ally JD-U might support Ansari.
The JD-U and another NDA ally, Shiv Sena, broke ranks with the BJP to support UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee for the July 19 presidential poll. However, the Shiv Sena has indicated it will back the NDA candidate for vice president.
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA's vice presidential candidate (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- NDA names Jaswant as vice presidential candidate - Jul 16, 2012
- BJP for vice presidential contest, to seek NDA nod (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- NDA to finalise vice presidential nominee Monday - Jul 15, 2012
- BJP to discuss vice presidential poll - Jul 14, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA choice for vice president (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
- BJP for vice presidential contest, to seek NDA nod (Second Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- NDA defers decision on presidential polls (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- JD-U is with Jaswant Singh: Nitish - Jul 16, 2012
- BJP wants Congress to react, NDA meet unlikely before Saturday (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Nitish meets Jaswant, pledges support - Jul 26, 2012
- NDA decision unlikely before Saturday, cards close to chest - Jun 13, 2012
- BJP core group to meet today, allies divided over presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: ally, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, defence minister, external affairs, hamid ansari, jaswant singh, jd, l k advani, national democratic alliance, nda, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, presidential election, presidential poll, progressive alliance, rajya sabha, second term, shiv sena, yadav