Janardhana Reddy elected unopposed to Rajya SabhaMarch 16th, 2009 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 16 (IANS) Former Andhra Pradesh chief minister and senior Congress party leader Nedurumalli Janardhana Reddy was Monday elected unopposed to the Rajya Sabha from the state in a by-election.
Reddy, 74, was declared elected unopposed as no other nomination was filed for the lone seat. The by-election was necessitated by the resignation of sitting member, C. Ramachandraiah of the Telugu Desam Party (TDP), who had quit both the party and the upper house in July last year to join Praja Rajyam Party floated by actor-turned-politician Chiranjeevi.
Janardhana Reddy, who is the sitting Lok Sabha member from Visakhapatnam, will have only a year as a Rajya Sabha member as he would be completing the remaining term of Ramachandraiah.
The former chief minister’s nomination to Rajya Sabha came following the decision of the party leadership not to field him in the next month’s Lok Sabha elections.
Janardhana Reddy’s wife N. Rajyalakshmi is a minister in Andhra Pradesh and she is likely to again get the party ticket for assembly elections from their native Nellore district.
- Andhra parties welcome by-poll schedule - Apr 24, 2012
- YSR Congress Party wins Nellore Lok Sabha, 14 assembly seats (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Two PRP leaders sworn in as Andhra ministers - Jan 19, 2012
- Chiranjeevi, Renuka, four others file papers for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- YSR Congress elated over first win outside Kadapa - Mar 21, 2012
- YSR Congress leads the Andhra by-elections - Jun 15, 2012
- Dimple Yadav takes oath as Lok Sabha member - Aug 08, 2012
- YSR Congress Party bags 8 assembly seats, leading in 7 (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSRCP sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags one Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Fourth Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Chiranjeevi, five others elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha - Mar 22, 2012
- YSR Congress sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSR Congress headed for clean sweep in Andhra by-elections (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Andhra speaker disqualifies 16 Jagan loyalists (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- TDP's Devender Goud, Ramesh file papers for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- Kiran Reddy inducts two ministers, drops one (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: actor turned politician, assembly elections, chief minister, chiranjeevi, congress party, hyderabad, lok sabha elections, lok sabha member, nellore district, nomination, party leader, party leadership, party ticket, rajya sabha member, resignation, tdp, telugu desam party, upper house