Jamshedpur court sends warrant for Raj ThackerayOctober 20th, 2008 - 6:18 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 20 (IANS) A day after his supporters attacked non-Maharashtrians appearing for a railway exam here, Mumbai Police Monday received a non-bailable arrest warrant against Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray issued by a Jamshedpur court. The MNS chief’s lawyers also rushed to Ranchi to move the Jharkhand High Court for anticipatory bail, a MNS official said.
The warrant against Thackeray had been issued by the Jamshedpur court three weeks ago for his alleged defamatory utterances against Biharis. The case, filed by a lawyer Hamed Razaa Khan, also accused Thackeray of hurting religious sentiments of a particular section of the society.
Thackeray has been ordered by the court to personally appear before it Nov 17 for a hearing. Thackeray is currently on a tour of Pune, Nashik and Malegaon and will reach Mumbai Thursday, his aides said.
The Jamshedpur court warrant is likely to be executed by the Shivaji Park police station. Thackeray’s residence is located in its jurisdiction.
Despite repeated attempts, top police officials in Mumbai remained unavailable for comment.
- Raj Thackeray arrested - Nov 15, 2008
- Bihar court issues non-bailable warrant against Raj Thackeray - Dec 03, 2009
- 10,000 Mumbai autorickshaw permit holders agree to electronic meters - Oct 05, 2011
- Raj Thackeray secures bail after arrest (Lead) - Nov 15, 2008
- Rahul Gandhi ill-informed: Raj Thackeray retorts to speech - Nov 14, 2011
- Jharkhand court issues notice on Raj Thackeray - Feb 18, 2009
- CBI seeks fresh warrant to arrest Nupur Talwar - Apr 18, 2012
- Bihar Day: Shiv Sena non-confrontationist, MNS belligerent - Apr 13, 2012
- Bail plea of former Indian cricketer rejected - Apr 08, 2011
- Jharkhand court warns Raj Thackeray about seizure of property - Feb 18, 2009
- MNS names candidates - with marks! - Jan 29, 2012
- Jamshedpur court seeks clarification on Thackeray warrant - Nov 17, 2008
- Raj arrested, freed on bail (Second Lead) - Nov 15, 2008
- Arrest Raj Thackeray under NSA: Paswan - Oct 31, 2008
- Police cut short quizzing cartoonist Aseem Trivedi (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012