Jammu shuts down against fuel price hikeMay 31st, 2012 - 3:47 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 31 (IANS) Vehicles went off the roads and shops and businesses were shut Thursday in this Kashmir city as part of an all-India shutdown to protest the fuel price hike.
Attendance in banks and offices was thin, official and other sources said. The worst hit by the protest were Vaishno Devi pilgrims and tourists who arrive here in thousands daily.
“We had planned a trip to Vaishno Devi nearly a month ago. Now we are harassed with no commuter service available and all shops closed,” lamented Subash Gupta from Delhi.
“How can ladies and children walk long distances in such heat?”
The Jammu railway station presented a scene of chaos as tourists were left clueless about the shutdown and faced a harrowing time trying to hire cabs to Srinagar or other tourist places.
A police official told IANS that the situation was peaceful.
Thursday’s protest was called several groups including the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), whose activists took out marches in the city shouting slogans against the UPA government.
BJP state president Shamsher Singh Manhas said: “It is a complete, peaceful and spontaneous bandh.”
Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) workers staged a sit-in near the Jammu Press Club.
- Shut down cripples life in Jammu - Sep 20, 2012
- Jammu observes shutdown against police action - Mar 17, 2012
- Complete shutdown in Jammu against Omar's accession remark - Nov 08, 2010
- BJP launches protest against Omar for accession remark - Nov 02, 2010
- No regrets over accession remarks: Omar - Nov 08, 2010
- Tourism can boost Kashmir's economic development: Omar - Dec 31, 2011
- Markets shut, trains stopped in Agra - May 31, 2012
- Kashmir had record 12 million tourists - Dec 31, 2011
- Record tourist arrival is peace dividend : Kashmir minister - Mar 27, 2012
- BJP workers court arrest in Jammu - Jun 22, 2012
- Over five million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi till June - Jul 04, 2012
- 'Record tourist arrival in Kashmir is peace dividend' - Mar 26, 2012
- BJP calls Jammu shutdown Thursday - Sep 29, 2010
- Karnataka braces for Thursday shutdown - Sep 19, 2012
- Hyderabad shutdown hits normal life - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, cabs, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, commuter service, CPI, fuel price hike, gupta, kashmir, long distances, manhas, marches, pilgrims, police official, railway station, shamsher singh, slogans, state president, subash