Jammu shutdown extended till July 6July 3rd, 2008 - 10:17 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, July 3 (IANS) Rejecting Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad’s appeal, protesters Thursday evening decided to extend the Jammu shutdown till July 6 to press their demand for restoration of land allotment to the Amarnath shrine management. “We will continue our protest shutdown till July 6,” said Leela Karan, chairman of the Amarnath Yatra Sangharsh Samiti.
He said the Congress government had “ditched” the people of Jammu and “humiliated Hindus” by revoking the May 26 cabinet order, which had granted 40 hectares of forest land in north Kashmir to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) for setting up pilgrim facilities.
Various groups supporting the shutdown call and demanding restoration of land to the shrine board, rejected the chief minister’s appeal for peace.
Azad earlier told a hurriedly convened press conference that the government decision was not “succumbing to pressure from terrorists or separatists”.
He said the government would acquire as much land as needed to provide facilities to the pilgrims visiting the cave shrine of Amarnath.
Describing it as a “win-win situation”, he said this was a reason for celebrations for one and all, but regretted that politics of inciting communal passions was on to gain political mileage.
However, Shiv Sena leader Shamsher Singh said: “All this is eyewash. We reject this. He should restore the land to the shrine board, the rest is misleading propaganda.”
- Over 200,000 pilgrims visit Amarnath Shrine - Jul 10, 2011
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- Amarnath yatra too short, say religious groups - Feb 29, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- SC sets up panel to study Amarnath deaths - Jul 20, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- 74 Amarnath pilgrims die in 19 days - Jul 14, 2012
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Annual Hindu pilgrimage of Amarnath to start June 25 - Feb 26, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrims court risks for a glimpse of Shiva - Jul 04, 2011
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- BJP takes up Amarnath pilgrims' deaths with Chidambaram - Jul 24, 2012
- Next year, fitness must for Amarnath pilgrims - Oct 22, 2011
- Now, a diet chart for Amarnath pilgrims - Jan 07, 2012
Tags: amarnath shrine, amarnath yatra, chief minister, congress government, forest land, ghulam nabi azad, government decision, hectares, hindus, kashmir, land allotment, misleading propaganda, nabi, north kashmir, passions, pilgrims, political mileage, sasb, shri, shrine board