Jammu shutdown extended till August 14August 8th, 2008 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Aug 8 (IANS) The group spearheading the campaign for the restoration of forest land to the Amarnath shrine board in Jammu and Kashmir Friday called for extending the general shutdown of the Jammu region till Aug14. The Amarnath Yatra Sangarsh Samiti (AYSS), a conglomerate of more than 30 Hindu groups, said Jammu will observe the shutdown for six more days (till Thursday).
Jammu since June 26 has been observing shutdowns, briefly interrupted for four days from July 18 to July 22. The region has also been reeling under curfews.
The necessity to “extend the shutdown was felt because the government is deaf and dumb” and has failed to hear the loud and clear sentiments of the people of Jammu for the return of the land, AYSS convenor Leela Karan Sharma told reporters.
The agitation was intensified after the government cancelled the May 26 land transfer order, allotting some 40 hectares of land to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board, July 1 after massive protests in the Muslim-dominated Kashmir Valley.
- Land row: Government starts dialogue with Jammu protesters - Jul 30, 2008
- Amarnath talks on Saturday amid tension in Kashmir (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2008
- Jammu shutdown extended until Sunday evening (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2008
- Curfew lifted, but life remains paralysed in Jammu (Lead) - Jul 29, 2008
- Jammu shutdown call has few supporters - Jul 02, 2010
- Fresh protests on Amarnath land issue to begin Sunday - Jul 12, 2008
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- No more talks with Jammu and Kashmir governor: agitators - Aug 01, 2008
- Unregistered Amarnath pilgrims cause chaos - Jun 28, 2012
- Curfew, shutdown continue as Jammu seethes over land row(Lead) - Jul 28, 2008
- Amarnath samiti calls Jammu bandh Saturday - Jul 02, 2010
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Jammu protesters now want buildings for Amarnath pilgrims (Lead) - Jul 30, 2008
- Another Jammu youth attempts suicide on land row(Second Lead) - Jul 29, 2008
- Jammu rebuffs shutdown call - Jul 03, 2010
Tags: agitation, amarnath shrine, amarnath yatra, conglomerate, forest land, hectares, hindu groups, jammu and kashmir, jammu region, july 1, kashmir, kashmir valley, leela, massive protests, muslim, sentiments, shri, shrine board, shutdowns, six more days