Jammu shutdown continues for eighth dayJuly 31st, 2008 - 4:53 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, July 31 (IANS) Jammu shut down for the eighth consecutive day Thursday over demands that land be restored to the Amarnath shrine board, as the stage was being set for the first round of talks between Jammu and Kashmir Governor N.N. Vohra and leaders of the agitation. All business establishments and educational institutions were closed and traffic stayed off the road as one more day of the shutdown called by Amarnath Yatra Sangarsh Samiti, a conglomerate of 30 groups, came into effect. The strike is slated to continue till Sunday evening.
Vohra is scheduled to start a dialogue with leaders of the Samiti to end the impasse.
Although most of Wednesday had passed off peacefully, there was violence late evening in Samba, Kathua and Vijay Pur areas with protesters blocking the Jammu-Pathankot highway and smashing windowpanes of trucks and buses.
Several hundred tyres were burnt and in some parts of the city, protesters chanted Lord Shiva’s name - the Amarnath shrine is dedicated to the Hindu god - and shouted slogans denouncing the governor and National Conference president Omar Abdullah for his speech during the trust vote debate in parliament.
The Jammu and Kashmir government had allotted 40 hectares to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) that manages the pilgrimage to the shrine. However, it retracted its decision leading to furious protests in Hindu dominated Jammu.
- Five detained for locking Kashmir House in Delhi - May 18, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra: 300 Hindu activists detained in Jammu - Jun 03, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Talks between governor, protestors on Amarnath land issue fail - Aug 01, 2008
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- Now, a diet chart for Amarnath pilgrims - Jan 07, 2012
- Over 1 lakh pilgrims visit Amarnath shrine in 5 days - Jun 30, 2012
- Home ministry reviews situation ahead of Amarnath Yatra - Jun 11, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage to begin June 29 - Feb 18, 2011
- Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 13, 2011
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Enhanced healthcare ordered for Amarnath pilgrims - Jul 09, 2012
- BJP takes up Amarnath pilgrims' deaths with Chidambaram - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: amarnath shrine, business establishments, conference president, conglomerate, educational institutions, eighth day, hindu god, impasse, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, kashmir, kathua, late evening, lord shiva, sasb, shri, shrine board, trust vote, vohra, windowpanes