Jammu and Kashmir security set-up satisfactory: plan panelApril 10th, 2009 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, April 10 (IANS) Security arrangements in Jammu and Kashmir for the Lok Sabha elections are satisfactory, Election Commissioner Naveen Chawla said here Friday.
Assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir last year were a historical landmark and the coming Lok Sabha polls would add a new chapter to it, he said.
Chawla was speaking to the media after a day-long review of the security scenario of the Jammu region where the two constituencies of Jammu-Poonch and Udhampur-Doda are going to polls in the first (April 16) and second phases (April 23) of the five phased polls.
“We are satisfied with the arrangements,” Chawla said and added the election process would be monitored “deep down”, for which “micro-observers have been appointed.”
Earlier, officers told Chawla, who will take over as the chief election commissioner May 1, that the security scene was manageable despite stepped-up infiltration from across the border.
“Our counter-infiltration effort has been successful as the infiltrators have been neutralised on the Line of Control itself,” a senior police officer.
- Five civilians killed in Kashmir landmine blast - Apr 21, 2009
- Omar Abdullah campaigns for Congress in Jammu - Apr 01, 2009
- Six killed in Jammu and Kashmir blast (Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- BJP declares candidates for two Lok Sabha seats in Kashmir - Mar 20, 2009
- Diluting AFSPA dangerous: Congress tells delegation in Jammu - Sep 21, 2010
- Omar to raise repeal of AFSPA at CMs' meet - Apr 14, 2012
- Hizbul Mujahideen militant arrested in Jammu region - May 16, 2012
- PDP fields Sikh, Hindu candidates for Jammu's two seats - Mar 27, 2009
- 'Kashmir counter-insurgency operations in more difficult phase' - Jan 10, 2012
- Fifth phase of panchayat polls begin in Kashmir - Apr 30, 2011
- Phase 12 of panchayat polls ends in Jammu and Kashmir - May 29, 2011
- Vote count starts in Jammu and Kashmir - May 16, 2009
- 49 percent polling in Jammu - Apr 16, 2009
- Jammu and Kashmir BJP displays unity on poll eve - Apr 14, 2009
- Indian army chief visits J&K; - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: assembly elections, chief election commissioner, constituencies, doda, infiltration, infiltrators, jammu and kashmir, jammu region, kashmir, lok sabha elections, lok sabha polls, may 1, naveen, new chapter, observers, police officer, poonch, security arrangements, security scene, udhampur