Jaitley skips election meeting again, BJP rift in the open (Lead)March 17th, 2009 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 17 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) general secretary Arun Jaitley skipped another crucial meeting of the party’s central election committee Tuesday, bringing the rift between him and party president Rajnath Singh out in the open though the party tried to downplay the crisis.
The meeting was held to finalise Lok Sabha candidates for the states of Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh and was attended by senior leaders L.K. Advani, M. Venkaiah Naidu, Sushma Swaraj, Gopinath Munde and Bal Apte. It was chaired by the party president.
Key strategist Jaitley has reportedly been unhappy since Rajnath Singh appointed Sudhanshu Mittal as the co-coordinator for the Lok Sabha election campaign in north-eastern states.
According to party insiders, Jaitley, who is in charge of the party’s election campaign, had made his displeasure known to some frontline leaders and wants Mittal removed from the post.
He has reportedly gone to the extent of telling some confidants that he will not attend any election committee meetings of the party till Mittal is removed.
However on Monday, Rajnath Singh snubbed Jaitley by meeting Mittal to discuss the party’s election strategy.
“Jaitley has raised some issues that the party is trying to resolve. But we don’t discuss intra-party issues in public,” said Naidu.
The party’s prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani tried to play down the crisis by saying “there are no differences”.
Mittal, a close associate of late party leader Pramod Mahajan, is said to have played a key role in finalising the seat-sharing agreement with the Asom Gana Parishad in Assam.
Party sources said Advani was making an effort to resolve the differences between Rajnath Singh and Jaitley with the help of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).
Jaitley had earlier skipped a meeting of the party’s central election committee in Delhi on March 13.
- Jaitley again skips crucial BJP meeting - Mar 17, 2009
- Miffed Jaitley skips key BJP's poll panel meeting - Mar 13, 2009
- BJP to contest presidential poll, undecided on candidate - Jun 19, 2012
- Miffed Jaitley skips BJP poll panel meeting (Lead) - Mar 13, 2009
- No rift within party, says Advani but Jaitley remains miffed - Mar 16, 2009
- Jaitley continues to skip BJP meetings in protest of Mittal''s appointment - Mar 17, 2009
- Arun Jaitley attends poll meet at Rajnath Singh house - Mar 19, 2009
- BJP admits Rajnath-Jaitley rift - Mar 15, 2009
- Arun Jaitley meets Rajnath Singh - Mar 19, 2009
- BJP to contest presidential poll, undecided on candidate (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- BJP leaders meet president on 'parliament subversion' (Second Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Advani is emotive as Rajnath calls him PM material (Lead) - Nov 08, 2011
- Judicial delays to blame for failure to resolve Ayodhya dispute: BJP - Sep 24, 2010
- BJP says PM not confident; asks cadre to be ready for polls - Oct 02, 2011
- BJP to campaign for Sangma - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: arun jaitley, asom gana parishad, central election, confidants, eastern states, election committee, election strategy, gopinath munde, l k advani, lok sabha election, mittal, party insiders, party president, pramod mahajan, prime ministerial candidate, rajnath singh, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, s central, sushma swaraj, venkaiah naidu