Jagir Kaur’s resignation acceptedMarch 31st, 2012 - 10:20 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, March 31 (IANS) A day after she was convicted and sentenced to five years’ rigorous imprisonment for criminal conspiracy and other charges in the mysterious death of her daughter, the Punjab governor Saturday evening accepted the resignation of cabinet minister Jagir Kaur.
A state government spokesman said Saturday that Jagir Kaur, who held the portfolios of rural water supply and sanitation and defence services welfare, Saturday submitted her resignation to Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and the same was forwarded to Governor Shivraj Patil for its acceptance with immediate effect.
“Bibi Jagir Kaur resigned as cabinet minister on moral grounds following her conviction by a CBI special court,” the spokesman said.
The court had Friday sentenced Jagir Kaur to five years rigorous imprisonment on counts of forcible abortion, wrongful confinement, abduction and criminal conspiracy.
However, the court cleared her of murder charge of her daughter Harpreet Kaur, 19, framed by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
Jagir Kaur was the lone woman minister in the Badal government.
She has been lodged in the Kapurthala central jail, 200 km from here.
Jagir Kaur’s daughter Harpreet Kaur had died under mysterious circumstances April 20, 2000, following which she was cremated hastily by the family members. There was no post-mortem conducted. The Badal government was in power at that time as well.
Harpreet had angered her mother and other family members by secretly marrying a youth, Kamaljit Singh, who belonged to a lower caste. Kamaljit belonged to Begowal village in Kapurthala district where Jagir Kaur heads a cash-rich Dera (sect).
Jagir Kaur, who is a powerful politician in Punjab and considered close to the chief minister, was inducted as a cabinet minister March 14.
- Badal government's lone woman minister convicted, jailed (Roundup) - Mar 30, 2012
- Convicted Jagir Kaur remains a VIP in prison - Mar 31, 2012
- Minister jailed for conspiracy in daughter's death (Second Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Ministers take high 'moral ground' after conviction (Punjab Newsletter) - May 12, 2012
- Probe ordered into Jagir Kaur's VIP treatment in jail - Apr 03, 2012
- Bibi Jagir Kaur can vote in presidential poll: EC - Jul 03, 2012
- Punjab minister gets jail term for daughter's death (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Punjab agriculture minister gets one year jail - May 05, 2012
- Convicted Punjab minister quits, resignation accepted (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Badal accepts convicted minister's resignation - May 09, 2012
- Murder most foul: Timeline of Harpreet Kaur murder case - Mar 30, 2012
- Three Badal government ministers resign in six months (News Analysis) - Sep 18, 2012
- Punjab minister gets five years jail for daughter's death - Mar 30, 2012
- Complainant turns hostile in Bibi Jagir Kaur's case - Feb 25, 2010
- Relatives find enough place in Badal cabinet - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: badal, cabinet minister, central bureau of investigation, central jail, chief minister, criminal conspiracy, defence services, government spokesman, harpreet kaur, jagir kaur, lone woman, moral grounds, murder charge, mysterious circumstances, mysterious death, rigorous imprisonment, rural water supply, rural water supply and sanitation, water supply and sanitation, woman minister