Jagan’s mother to campaign in by-electionsMay 28th, 2012 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 28 (IANS) With the arrest of Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy on charges of corruption, his mother Vijayamma will now campaign for the YSR Congress in next month’s by-elections.
Vijayamma, the honorary president of the party, was requested to do so after the party’s central governing council held an emergency meeting Monday.
Party leader Shoba Nagi Reddy said Vijayamma would start campaigning May 30. She told reporters that they would convince her to call off her hunger strike.
Vijayamma and other family members are on indefinite fast at their Lotus Pond residence in Banjara Hills here to protest Jagan’s arrest by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
By-elections to the Nellore Lok Sabha and 18 assembly seats are scheduled to be held June 12. Jagan’s arrest has put brakes on the party’s campaign as he has been the star campaigner.
Vijayamma, who has blamed Congress party Sonia Gandhi for her son’s arrest, is likely to use the election campaign to mount further attack on the Congress and cash in on the perceived sympathy wave for Jagan.
- YSR Congress Party bags 8 assembly seats, leading in 7 (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Jagan's mother continues protest against son's arrest - May 28, 2012
- YSR Congress headed for clean sweep in Andhra by-elections (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Mother, wife call on Jagan in jail - May 29, 2012
- Election panel refuses to intervene in Jagan's case - May 29, 2012
- YSR Congress Party wins Nellore Lok Sabha, 14 assembly seats (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Jagan's mother, sister storm Andhra by-poll scene (With images) - May 31, 2012
- Another legislator quits Congress, two more call on Jagan's mother - May 31, 2012
- It's people's victory, says Jagan's mother - Jun 15, 2012
- Campaigning ends for Andhra by-elections - Jun 10, 2012
- YSR Congress protests CBI searches on Jagan (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Congress intensifies attack on Jagan in by-poll campaign - Jun 04, 2012
- YSRCP sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags one Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Fourth Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Jagan arrest: Andhra shutdown call evokes poor response (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- YSR Congress sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: assembly seats, banjara hills, campaigner, cbi, central bureau of investigation, congress party, election campaign, governing council, honorary president, hunger strike, jagan, Lok Sabha, lotus pond, nagi, nellore, party leader, s central, shoba, sonia gandhi, ysr