Jagan celebrates party’s win in jailJune 15th, 2012 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 15 (IANS) Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy Friday celebrated his YSR Congress Party’s landslide win in the Andhra Pradesh by-elections at the Chanchalguda Central Jail here.
Jagan, as the young MP from Kadapa is popularly known, remained glued to the television set in his special cell since Friday morning to keep himself abreast of the vote count, informed sources said.
As it became clear that his party was heading for a sweep, his mother Vijayamma, wife Bharati, sister Sharmila and brother-in-law Anil Kumar drove to jail and congratulated Jagan.
The son of late chief minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy is in jail for on charges of corruption. He was arrested by the CBI May 28 while campaigning.
After he was sent to jail, his mother and sister campaigned for the party, drawing huge crowds.
Meanwhile, there was mild tension outside the jail when his supporters celebrating the party’s win gathered outside the jail.
There were heated arguments when police tried to disperse them. Party activists were raising slogans of ‘Jai Jagan’.
In another development, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) filed a petition in the CBI court, seeking permission to question Jagan under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act.
Jagan is facing the allegations of routing investments into his companies through hawala and also of money laundering.
- Jagan's judicial custody extended, complains of 'insult' (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Mother, wife call on Jagan in jail - May 29, 2012
- Jagan's mother continues protest against son's arrest - May 28, 2012
- YSR Congress Party bags 8 assembly seats, leading in 7 (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Banking on YSR legacy, Jagan emerges a key force (Andhra Pradesh Newsletter) - Jun 16, 2012
- Jagan to be produced in court Monday - May 28, 2012
- YSR Congress headed for clean sweep in Andhra by-elections (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- It's people's victory, says Jagan's mother - Jun 15, 2012
- YSR Congress sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Jagan's mother, wife arrested - May 28, 2012
- Jagan sent to jail for 14 days in assets case (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- ED plea to quiz Jagan: Court decision July 6 (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Campaigning ends for Kadapa by-elections - May 06, 2011
- Court order July 6 on ED plea to quiz - Jul 02, 2012
- Court allows ED to question Jagan for 14 days - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh, campaigning, cbi court, central jail, chief minister, congress party, enforcement directorate, friday morning, hawala, jagan, jai, kadapa, landslide, mild tension, money laundering act, mother and sister, party activists, sharmila, vote count, ysr