It’s chocolates, treadmill and music for campaigner MamataMarch 28th, 2009 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 28 (IANS) Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee works out on the treadmill daily to remain fit and keeps chocolates on the dashboard of her car for children as she jumps headlong into a gruelling campaign schedule for the coming Lok Sabha poll.
In the heat and dust of canvassing, Banerjee relaxes her body and mind by listening to songs in the car and trying to catch up with some sleep.
“I love all kinds of songs - be it those of Tagore or Nazrul Islam, or modern Bengali songs. They have a soothing effect on me and I feel fresh,” Banerjee said in an interactive programme on the Bengali news channel Star Ananda.
Banerjee, who is the main challenger of the communists long entrenched in power in West Bengal, said she practices yoga daily to overcome body aches. “To keep fit, I work on the treadmill every morning. It is a stress-buster for me. Whenever I get time, I walk briskly. I also do lot of yogic exercises.”
Asked about her diet during the campaign, the firebrand leader said she eats small portions but is fond of fried vegetables. “I don’t keep my stomach empty. I take rice only once. I am also fond of puffed rice and potato fries.”
She keeps away from meat and milk, but loves eggs and takes one cucumber every day. “I also have yoghurt once in a day”.
The dashboard of Banerjee’s car is full of small but necessary items she needs for the long travel hours, hopping from one constituency to another.
“I carry some chocolates. This is for the children, who often come near me. But I also must admit that I have a sweet tooth too,” she said.
- I exercise on treadmill every morning: Mamata - Jun 21, 2011
- Congress, CPI-M trying to stall Bengal's development: Mamata - Jan 10, 2012
- Mamata Banerjee: A study in contrast (One year of Mamata) - May 20, 2012
- Mamata promises to start writing again - Sep 27, 2011
- Congress, Left slam Mamata on bunglow's renaming - Dec 29, 2011
- Pranab avoided going to school, says elder sister - Jul 22, 2012
- Nothing like a good workout: Prateik - Jan 26, 2012
- Brit woman on crash diet after 48FF chest prevented her from sitting in new car - Sep 09, 2010
- Tuning in to tune out stress - the Bollywood way (With Images) - May 31, 2012
- Bipasha's dubbing woes! (Movie Snippets) - Jul 03, 2012
- Chocolate free kick or kolaveri di? Sweet makeover for sandesh (Feature, With Images) - Mar 19, 2012
- Trinamool celebrates poll victory anniversary - May 13, 2012
- UPA wobbles, Mamata says Congress colluding with Left (Roundup) - Jan 03, 2012
- Congress urges Mamata to reconsider renaming Indira Bhavan - Dec 31, 2011
- Beyonce reveals post-pregnancy fitness regime - May 29, 2012
Tags: bengali news channel, bengali songs, campaign schedule, campaigner, fried vegetables, heat and dust, kolkata, lok sabha poll, mamata banerjee, nazrul islam, potato fries, puffed rice, star ananda, stress buster, sweet tooth, tagore, travel hours, trinamool congress, west bengal, yogic exercises