It’s Buddha versus Mamata again in BengalFebruary 29th, 2012 - 11:42 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 29 (IANS) Former West Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee Wednesday led a huge protest rally in Jadavpur against the alleged ransacking of a Communist Party of India-Marxist office by Trinamool Congress backed attackers.
Hours before Bhattacharjee’s roadshow, the Trinamool Congress announced that party chief and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee will lead two road rallies in the area Thursday and Saturday.
“To counter the malicious campaign and conspiracies of the CPI-M, we have decided to take out two rallies against this conspiracies and malicious campaign. The rallies will be taken out on March 1 and 3. The rally on March 3 will be led by our leader, Mamata Banerjee,” said state Industries Minister Partha Chatterjee.
Riding an open jeep and accompanied by senior party and Left Front leaders, CPI-M politburo member Bhattacharjee hit the streets at Jadavpur 8B crossing Wednesday evening, covering a 5-km stretch up to Garia.
Jadavpur has been Bhattacharjee’s assembly constituency since 1987. He won five elections from the area before losing to Trinamool candidate and former state chief secretary Manish Gupta last year.
Earlier during the assembly polls, it was a stated policy of the Trinamool that party chief Banerjee will conduct rallies in the same area a day after Bhattacharjee conducts such a programme.
- CPI-M says it is not a one-man party - Apr 13, 2011
- Buddhadeb, Mamata hold simultaneous roadshows - Apr 10, 2011
- Buddhadeb paints town red with roadshow - Apr 10, 2011
- Mamata government intolerant, tries to evade responsibility: Left - Aug 23, 2012
- Journalist's beating, woman's rape; Mamata says all cooked up (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- As Mamata says 'all cooked up', Marxists hit road (West Bengal Newsletter) - Mar 04, 2012
- Arrest CPI-M leader for 'obscene' comments on Mamata: Trinamool - Apr 23, 2011
- Poll campaigning peaks in north Bengal districts - Apr 13, 2011
- CPI-M leader apologises for comments on Mamata - Apr 24, 2011
- Buddhadeb attacks Mamata for unreal job promises - Sep 15, 2011
- Campaigning ends in West Bengal for fourth phase polling - May 01, 2011
- Mamata challenges Buddhadeb to fight polls from Lalgarh - Oct 30, 2010
- Buddhadeb lashes out at Mamata for campus violence - Jan 13, 2012
- Trinamool slams Buddhadeb's comment - Jun 01, 2011
- CPI-M trying to create rift between Congress, Trinamool: Mamata - Jun 30, 2012
Tags: assembly polls, bhattacharjee, chief minister, chief secretary, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, conspiracies, feb 29, industries minister, jadavpur, mamata, manish gupta, open jeep, partha, politburo member, protest rally, road rallies, state chief, trinamool congress, west bengal