It’s all in the Abdullah-Pilot familyMay 28th, 2009 - 3:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 28 (IANS) It was all in the family for the Abdullah/Pilot clan with father-in-law and National Conference patron Farooq Abdullah being sworn in as cabinet minister and son-in-law Sachin Pilot of the Congress becoming minister of state.
The flamboyant Abdullah, 72, with a traditional Kashmiri karakul cap and dressed in a white Nehru jacket with a red rose pinned in his lapel and a bright pink handkerchief peeping out from the breast pocket was sworn in first.
An hour later, his 32-year-old son-in-law Sachin Pilot, married to Abdullah’s daughter Sara, with a bright red Rajasthani turban and his usual kurta-pyjama followed suit and took oath as minister of state.
Looking on was a proud Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah who watched the one-and-a-half hour ceremony with rapt attention.
Just before the swearing-in ceremony started, the three were seen hugging and patting each other in a show of family pride. Abdullah senior, who flew to Johannesburg to catch up on the IPL cricket final after he was left out of the first round of the induction of cabinet ministers, could not have been happier at the way it all ended.
- Jubilation in Kashmir as Abdullah joins union cabinet - May 28, 2009
- Bismillah Khan's disciple to play at Varun's wedding (Lead) - Mar 05, 2011
- Badal takes over as Punjab CM for fifth time (Second Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Pakistani Kashmir ex-PM wants to attend Srinagar marriage - Sep 10, 2011
- Junior NTR ties the knot with Naidu's relative - May 06, 2011
- Jayalalithaa rehuffles cabinet, drops a minister - Jul 03, 2011
- Team Manmohan ready for governance (Second Lead) - May 28, 2009
- Relatives find enough place in Badal cabinet - Mar 13, 2012
- Bukhari, Azam Khan spew fire - Apr 07, 2012
- Be Indian, dress Indian, say new ministers - May 28, 2009
- Ajit Singh sworn-in as cabinet minister (Second Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Bhardwaj ticks off Yeddyurappa over prosecution issue - Jan 21, 2011
- Under media glare, Indian politicos go fashion forward (Feature with images) - Jul 17, 2011
- Greek cabinet sworn in - Jun 22, 2012
- Justice Mahesh Mittal Kumar sworn-in as J&K; chief justice - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: breast pocket, cabinet minister, cabinet ministers, chief minister, conference patron, daughter sara, family pride, farooq abdullah, half hour, handkerchief, jammu, johannesburg, kashmir, kashmiri, kurta pyjama, minister of state, nehru jacket, rajasthani turban, rapt attention, swearing in ceremony