Italy PM blames wife, media for marriage bust-upMay 4th, 2009 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, May 4 (DPA) Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi says his wife owes him a public apology after falling for a “media trap” that led her to seek a divorce.
Berlusconi made the remark in a newspaper interview published Monday, a day after Veronica Lario said she intended to end her 19-year-long marriage to the media-mogul-turned-politician.
When asked by Milan daily Corriere della Sera if reconciliation with his wife was still possible, Berlusconi replied: “I don’t think so. I don’t know if I want it this time.”
“Veronica will have to apologise to me in public, and I don’t know if that would be enough,” Berlusconi was quoted as saying.
The break-up between the 72-year-old premier and the 52-year-old former actress has rocked Italy, beginning when Lario last week publicly rebuked Berlusconi for including showgirls as candidates for his conservative People of Freedom party.
Berlusconi described the reports in several newspapers as “media crime” that suggested the aspiring European Parliament candidates, had been chosen for their looks and their “closeness” to the premier rather than their political abilities.
Of the six women who Lario described as “shameless trash”, without naming them directly, three eventually failed to make the candidate list, including a former contestant of the Italian version of the Big Brother reality show.
“They are all nice girls with excellent educational qualifications,” Berlusconi told Corriere della Sera.
Lario, last week in e-mail sent to Italy’s main news agency had also slammed her husband for attending the 18th-birthday party of a would-be showgirl, Noemi Letizia, who has also appeared in magazines and newspapers photographed in skimpy bikinis.
Berlusconi told Corriere della Sera he attended Letizia’s party at the behest of the woman’s father, “a long-standing friend”.
Berlusconi and Lario have three children. The politician also has two children from a previous marriage.
- `Lying' Berlusconi led to marriage break-up, says estranged wife - Aug 26, 2009
- Italian PM's wife seeks 43 mn euros a year in divorce - Nov 26, 2009
- Berlusconi's estranged wife rejects divorce deal - Aug 24, 2010
- My love for women, work and play won't change: Berlusconi - Oct 30, 2010
- Now, Berlusconi faces claims that he paid women to be at his parties - Jun 18, 2009
- Drug bust at Berlusconi company - Nov 08, 2011
- Berlusconi, wife divorce battle gets nastier - Jun 06, 2010
- Monti to govern till 2013: Berlusconi - Nov 21, 2011
- Berlusconi didn't have sex with Letizia, says ex-boyfriend - Jun 01, 2009
- Gaddafi threatens to kill Berlusconi: Italian daily - Jul 31, 2011
- Teenaged dancer asked Berlusconi for 5 mn euros for her silence - Jan 19, 2011
- Italy PM's wife to seek divorce - May 03, 2009
- Berlusconi's wife blasts infidelity rumours - Jun 13, 2009
- Berlusconi's daughter jumps to his defence over sex scandal - Sep 13, 2009
- Italian porn star praises Berlusconi for sex life - Jan 23, 2011
Tags: 18th birthday party, big brother reality show, corriere della sera, e mail, educational qualifications, european parliament, freedom party, italian prime minister, italian version, letizia, media crime, media mogul, nice girls, political abilities, prime minister silvio, prime minister silvio berlusconi, public apology, showgirls, silvio berlusconi, skimpy bikinis