Italians’ abduction grim reminder of security threat: PM (Lead)March 20th, 2012 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 20 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Tuesday said the abduction of two Italian nationals in Odisha is a “grim reminder” of the challenge posed by Maoists to India’s internal security.
“The abduction of two foreign nationals recently is a grim reminder to all of us of the challenge to our internal security from leftwing extremism,” the prime minister said in the Rajya Sabha in his reply to the motion of thanks on the president’s address.
Italian nationals Bosusco Paolo and Claudio Colangelo were abducted March 14 when they were on a trek in Odisha’s Kandhamal district. The two Italians were based in Puri.
Maoists claimed the tourists were kidnapped after they were found taking “objectionable” photographs of some tribal women near a rivulet. They demanded, among others, that the government stop its anti-Maoist combing operations.
The prime minister also asked the people of the country to be “careful and alert” if threats from Maoists and terrorism were to be weeded out.
He said the government was committed to dealing with terrorism.
- Italians' abduction a reminder of internal security challenge: PM - Mar 20, 2012
- Manmohan reassures political consultation on NCTC (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Abduction crisis: Maoists name interlocutors, extends deadline (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2012
- No news of Italians abducted by Maoists - Mar 19, 2012
- Abduction crisis deepens, interlocutor refuses to mediate - Mar 20, 2012
- Maoists abduct two Italians in Odisha (Intro Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- 'Can't be blackmailed on Odisha crisis' - Apr 02, 2012
- Maoists abduct two Italians in Odisha (Fourth Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Odisha kidnapping will have no impact on tourism: Sahay - Mar 20, 2012
- Abduction of Italians: Odisha examines Maoist pamphlet (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Maoists raise fresh demands, Italians untraced (Night Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Odisha does not want foreigners in Maoist-affected areas - May 03, 2012
- Hostage crisis: Odisha to release 27 prisoners (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Odisha assembly appeals for Italians' release - Mar 22, 2012
- Efforts intensified to secure release of Odisha hostages - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: abducted, abduction, claudio colangelo, foreign nationals, grim reminder, internal security, italian nationals, italians, leftwing, manmohan, manmohan singh, maoist, maoists, odisha, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, rivulet, security threat, tribal women