Italians’ abduction a reminder of internal security challenge: PMMarch 20th, 2012 - 2:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 20 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Tuesday said the abduction of two Italian nationals in Odisha is a “reminder of the challenge” to internal security posed by leftwing extremism.
“The abduction of two foreign nationals recently is a reminder of the challenge to our internal security by Naxal and leftwing extremism,” the prime minister said in the Rajya Sabha in his reply to the motion of thanks on the president’s address.
Italian nationals Bosusco Paolo and Claudio Colangelo were abducted March 14 when they were on a trek in Odisha’s Kandhamal district. The two Italians were based in Puri.
Maoists claimed that the tourists were kidnapped after they were found taking “objectionable” photographs of some tribal women near a rivulet. They demanded, among others, that the government stop its anti-Maoist combing operations.
- Italians' abduction grim reminder of security threat: PM (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- No news of Italians abducted by Maoists - Mar 19, 2012
- Abduction crisis: Maoists name interlocutors, extends deadline (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2012
- Abduction crisis deepens, interlocutor refuses to mediate - Mar 20, 2012
- Manmohan reassures political consultation on NCTC (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Maoists abduct two Italians in Odisha (Intro Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- 'Can't be blackmailed on Odisha crisis' - Apr 02, 2012
- Maoists abduct two Italians in Odisha (Fourth Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Abduction of Italians: Odisha examines Maoist pamphlet (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Maoists raise fresh demands, Italians untraced (Night Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Odisha kidnapping will have no impact on tourism: Sahay - Mar 20, 2012
- Efforts intensified to secure release of Odisha hostages - Mar 26, 2012
- Odisha Maoists yet to respond to mediators' appeal - Apr 02, 2012
- Odisha does not want foreigners in Maoist-affected areas - May 03, 2012
- Hostage crisis: Odisha to release 27 prisoners (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: abducted, abduction, claudio colangelo, foreign nationals, internal security, italian nationals, italians, leftwing, manmohan, manmohan singh, maoist, maoists, naxal, odisha, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, rivulet, security challenge, tribal women