Italian prime minister calls for confidence voteOctober 14th, 2011 - 5:45 am ICT by IANS
Rome, Oct 14 (IANS) Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi Thursday called for a vote of confidence in his government, stressing that his government was stable and would move on with its agenda, Xinhua reported.
“Today I ask for a vote of confidence because I am aware of the high risks our country is facing and of the fact that market’s dynamics are not compatible with politics’ long rituals,” said Berlusconi.
As his ruling majority suffered a severe blow Tuesday over the approval of a budget report, Berlusconi decided to call for a confidence vote Friday.
“Our government will continue along its way without being influenced by anything but the respect of our constitution and the European commitments we have undertaken,” he said during a parliamentary speech.
Ruling out the possibility of an early vote as it would only harm the country at such a crucial moment, Berlusconi said there were “no credible alternatives to the government”.
- I am the best, says Berlusconi - Feb 26, 2011
- Italian prime minister slams country's downgrading - Sep 20, 2011
- Italian PM Berlusconi wins crucial confidence vote in Parliament - Jun 22, 2011
- Berlusconi wins vote but loses majority, asked to quit - Nov 09, 2011
- Berlusconi says he will call it quits as PM in 2013 - Dec 24, 2010
- Ferrari chief says Berlusconi must resign - Nov 01, 2011
- Italy approves economy stabilisation law - Nov 13, 2011
- Berlusconi 'to call early election' amid fresh prostitute allegations - Aug 04, 2010
- Berlusconi skips tax fraud hearing - Sep 27, 2011
- Berlusconi wants removal of Italy's parliament speaker - Sep 08, 2010
- Italian court waters down Berlusconi immunity law - Jan 14, 2011
- Italy's new Cabinet wins confidence vote - Nov 19, 2011
- Berlusconi calls for sobriety - Nov 24, 2010
- Berlusconi says he won't stand for re-election - Nov 09, 2011
- Government will complete its term: Italy PM - Sep 14, 2010
Tags: budget report, commitments, confidence vote, constitution, crucial moment, early vote, italian prime minister, prime minister silvio, prime minister silvio berlusconi, rituals, rome, silvio berlusconi, vote of confidence, xinhua