Italian politicians held for trading votes with mafiaDecember 23rd, 2010 - 10:55 am ICT by IANS
Rome, Dec 23 (IANS/AKI) Five politicians and seven others were arrested in Italy for trading votes for favours with the members of a notorious Italian crime syndicate.Of the five politicians arrested Tuesday from southern Italy, Santi Zappala, a member of Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi’s conservative People of Liberty Party and part of the Calabria Regional Council, was the only one to win the regional elections held in March.
Police also arrested members of the Ndrangheta mafia syndicate, businessmen and election officials.
Politicians from the Calabria region allegedly visited the apartment of crime boss Peppe Pelle offering favourable treatment for mafia inmates and public works contracts if the mafioso could deliver votes, according to the anti-mafia investigators who overheard their conversation by listening devices planted in the mobster’s home.
The Ndrangheta from Calabria is considered Italy’s richest and most powerful mafia organisation.
- Fugitive Italian mafia leader arrested - May 04, 2012
- Police move to crush mafia in Italy - Jul 13, 2010
- Italian magistrate arrested in mafia crackdown - Nov 30, 2011
- 'Dangerous' mobster held in Italy - Apr 24, 2012
- Man held for attempted bomb attack on Italy president - Sep 21, 2010
- 16 Italian judges held in anti-mafia operation - Mar 20, 2012
- Dozens of mafia men held in pan-European drugs bust - Jun 04, 2012
- Nearly 50 mafia men held in Italy - Jun 07, 2012
- Italian mafia 'pastry extortion ring' busted - Feb 23, 2012
- 15 bn euros of mafia wealth seized in Italy - Jun 12, 2012
- Flat seized from Italian mafia to become kids' home - Sep 07, 2012
- Troops to combat mafia in Italian city - Oct 07, 2010
- New book in Italy puts mafia on the map - Dec 06, 2009
- Italian Police seize 'mafia assets' worth $1.9 bn - Sep 15, 2010
- Italian top fugitive mafia boss held - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: calabria region, crime boss, crime syndicate, election officials, italian crime, italian politicians, italian prime minister, liberty party, listening devices, mafia organisation, mafioso, mobster, ndrangheta, prime minister silvio, prime minister silvio berlusconi, public works contracts, regional council, regional elections, silvio berlusconi, southern italy