Israel’s Premier Netanyahu signs deal with fifth coalition partnerApril 1st, 2009 - 4:23 pm ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, April 1 (DPA) Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud party signed a coalition agreement with a fifth partner, the ultra-Orthodox United Torah Judaism (UTJ) Wednesday, a day after his government was sworn in.
The agreement was signed after last-minute differences were ironed out, Israel Radio reported.
UTJ, which has five mandates in the 120-seat Knesset, Israel’s parliament, did not receive any ministerial portfolios. It did receive the deputy ministerial posts of health and education.
The main bone of contention had been the wording of a clause in the coalition agreement, dealing with conversion to Judaism. The party represents largely ultra-Orthodox Jews of Ashkenazi, or European, origin, while another coalition partner, Shas of Interior Minister Eli Yishai, represents largely ultra-Orthodox Jews of Sephardic, or Near Eastern origin.
The Likud’s three other coalition partners are the ultra-nationalist Israel Beiteinu of Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman, the left-to-centre Labour Party of Defence Minister Ehud Barak and the pro-settler, far-right Jewish Home party of Science Minister Daniel Hershkovitz.
On Tuesday night, Israel’s Knesset approved the government presented by incoming Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu by a vote of 69 in favour to 45 against.
- Netanyahu calls for early polls in Israel - May 07, 2012
- Both Livni, Netanyahu declare victory in Israeli polls (Lead) - Feb 11, 2009
- Parties put out coalition feelers after Israeli poll (Roundup) - Feb 12, 2009
- Majority of Israelis dissatisfied with Netanyahu - Aug 02, 2012
- Israel braces for political instability after poll results - Feb 13, 2009
- Israeli military can be 'swept aside' by Iran: US analyst - Jul 11, 2012
- Netanyahu meets Livni for unity government in Israel - Feb 23, 2009
- Israel okays West Bank housing ahead of Biden visit - Mar 08, 2010
- Israel to indict foreign minister on several charges - Aug 03, 2009
- Labour Party joins Netanyahu coalition in Israel - Mar 25, 2009
- Both parties claim victory in Israel polls - Feb 11, 2009
- Netanyahu seeks two-week extension to form Israeli government - Mar 20, 2009
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Pammi wants Israel's ultra-orthodox men to go topless! - Nov 08, 2010
- Israel may force non-Jewish citizens to vow loyalty to state - Oct 08, 2010
Tags: avigdor lieberman, benjamin netanyahu, bone of contention, coalition agreement, conversion to judaism, eastern origin, ehud barak, israel beiteinu, israel radio, israeli prime minister, likud party, minister benjamin netanyahu, ministerial portfolios, minute differences, prime minister benjamin, science minister, seat knesset, torah judaism, ultra orthodox jews, utj