Israeli diplomats flee Cairo after attack on embassySeptember 10th, 2011 - 11:36 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Sep 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Israeli ambassador to Egypt and the embassy staff were Saturday waiting at the Cairo international airport for an Israeli military plane to whisk them away to Tel Aviv after an attack on the embassy building, Al Jazeera reported.
A group of protesters breached early Saturday multiple floors of a high-rise building housing the Israeli embassy.
Al-Jazeera aired a video footage showing Israeli mission documents being thrown out of the windows as the demonstrators reportedly broke into the embassy’s archives.
Several hundred protesters remain outside the building in a standoff with police reinforcements which have arrived in the area supported by at least 20 armored vehicles.
Police have fired warning shots with rubber bullets and used tear gas to disperse the crowds. Local media reported at least 450 protesters injured in clashes with authorities.
Egyptian Prime Minister Essam Sharaf summoned Saturday his cabinet crisis team and the interior ministry put police on high alert.
Israel has created a crisis centre under Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman, which is monitoring the situation in the Egyptian capital following the riots.
On Friday evening demonstrators partially destroyed a wall built outside the Israeli embassy to protect the building, ripped down the Israeli flag and set several police cars on fire.
Egyptians have been staging mass protests outside the embassy and calling for the expulsion of the Israeli ambassador for almost a month following the border deaths of five Egyptian policemen accidentally killed Aug 18 as an Israeli helicopter hunted a group of militants near the Egyptian border.
Egypt has asked Israel for an official apology and demanded a probe into the deaths of the policemen.
- Egypt extends suspected Israeli spy's custody for 15 days - Jun 26, 2011
- Hundreds demonstrate across Egypt to demand Israeli ambassador's expulsion - Aug 27, 2011
- 10 killed as protesters storm Cairo building - Jan 30, 2011
- Clashes outside US embassy in Cairo leave 200 injured - Sep 14, 2012
- One killed in Cairo, protestors confront security forces - Jan 28, 2011
- Ex-Egyptian minister faces trial for corruption - Mar 05, 2011
- Syria, Egypt in tit-for-tat envoy withdrawal - Feb 20, 2012
- Egypt terminates Israel gas deal - Apr 23, 2012
- Israel frees Egyptian prisoners under swap deal - Oct 28, 2011
- Unrest swells in Egypt as cornered government bans Al-Jazeera (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2011
- Nine die in Egyptian sectarian violence (Lead) - May 08, 2011
- 12 die in Egypt building collapse - Jul 15, 2012
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Egypt PM calls for reviewing all natural gas deals - Apr 14, 2011
- Egyptian prosecutors question Mubarak's sons - Apr 18, 2011
Tags: al jazeera, avigdor lieberman, cairo international airport, crisis centre, crisis team, egyptian border, egyptian capital, embassy staff, essam, israeli ambassador, israeli embassy, israeli flag, mass protests, military plane, mission documents, police reinforcements, ria novosti, rubber bullets, sharaf, warning shots