Israeli army demolishes West Bank mosqueOctober 11th, 2011 - 9:47 pm ICT by IANS
Ramallah, Oct 11 (IANS) The Israeli army for the third time demolished a mosque in the northern West Bank Tuesday, saying it was built without permission, Palestinian sources said.
Witnesses said that the Israeli army forces, backed by a bulldozer and armored vehicles, demolished the mosque in Kherbet Berza village in the West Bank, Xinhua reported.
This is the third time the Israeli army destroyed the mosque, claiming it was built without getting a license from the authorities. Every time the army destroys the mosque, the residents rebuild it.
The Palestinians accused Israel of extensively damaging houses and mosques for expanding the nearby Jewish settlements. This is proving to be an obstacle for resuming direct Israeli-Palestinian peace talks.
Meanwhile, the Israeli army arrested six Palestinians, including 44-year-old activist Ahmed Abu Hashem, who strongly opposed settlement activities in the West Bank.
The Israeli army is carrying out daily raids on villages and towns all over the West Bank, saying the detained Palestinians are wanted for carrying out violent acts against Israeli targets.
Earlier Tuesday, clashes erupted in the old city of Hebron in the southern West Bank between dozens of Palestinian schoolgirls and Israeli soldiers after the soldiers prevented them and their teachers from reaching their school.
The soldiers fired rubber bullets and tear gas to disperse the girls, slightly injuring several of them.
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Israel arrests Palestinians in West Bank raids - Jun 23, 2010
- More Israelis, Palestinians willing to compromise: Poll - Dec 29, 2011
- Palestinian armed groups vow to attack Israeli targets - Sep 03, 2010
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
- Israeli settlers legitimate targets: Hamas - Sep 04, 2010
- Israel raids Palestinian TV stations in Ramallah - Mar 01, 2012
- Palestinian demonstrator injured during West Bank protest dies - Dec 11, 2011
- Police arrest Israeli settlers after razing outpost - Nov 07, 2011
- Russia urges Israel to stop settlement expansion - Jun 09, 2012
- Palestinian protesters clash with Israeli army in West Bank - Feb 12, 2012
- Soldiers open fire at Arab-Israeli man in West Bank checkpoint - Jan 21, 2011
- Palestinian women protest in support of hunger striker - Mar 08, 2012
- 3 injured, 7 arrested in clashes between Israeli troops and anti-wall protesters in West Bank - Jul 23, 2011
- Settlers and Palestinians clash in West Bank village; one dead, one injured - Jan 29, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,