Islamist parties sweep Egyptian electionJanuary 22nd, 2012 - 3:19 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, Jan 22 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Egypt’s Islamist parties have won an overwhelming victory at the first parliamentary polls since last year’s uprising which led to the fall of the Hosni Mubarak regime, the country’s election authorities said.
According to final results announced Saturday, the Freedom and Justice Party, the political wing of the Muslim Brotherhood, has secured 235 of 498 seats in the People’s Assembly, or 38 percent of the total.
The ultra-conservative al-Nour party took 121 seats or 29 percent of the total.
Liberal Wafd and the Egyptian Bloc parties scored 36 and 33 seats, respectively, which gives them little hope for any influence on the country’s future.
Egypt has a complex three-stage scheme of voting, where two-thirds of the seats are allocated to party list candidates, and the remaining third are contested by individual candidates.
The voting took almost six weeks and ended Jan 11.
In line with Egypt’s election legislation, the chairman of the ruling Supreme Council of Armed Forces (SCAF) Mohamed Hussein Tantawi Saturday appointed 10 additional lawmakers.
The parliament’s newly elected 508-seat lower house is expected to convene for its first session Jan 23.
The upper house, the Shura Council, will be elected in February-March 2012 and will begin its work March 24.
- Egyptians vote in presidential poll run-off - Jun 16, 2012
- Muslim Brotherhood seeks dialogue to 'save revolution' - May 26, 2012
- Egypt to lift three decades old state of emergency - Jan 25, 2012
- One year on, Egyptians back at Tahrir Square (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Egypt president orders defence minister to retire - Aug 13, 2012
- Egypt polls: Muslim Brotherhood claims victory (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Egyptians vote for new leader - Jun 17, 2012
- Muslim Brotherhood's Morsi wins Egyptian presidency (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Egypt after a year of civilian uprising - Jan 25, 2012
- Egypt protests continue despite authorities' concessions - Nov 23, 2011
- Egypt presidential poll results to be announced Sunday - Jun 23, 2012
- Egypt court clears Mubarak aides for election - Jun 15, 2012
- Egypt polls: Muslim Brotherhood says it is winning - Jun 18, 2012
- Islamist Morsi sworn in as Egypt's president - Jun 30, 2012
- Egypt goes to poll to elect new president (Lead) - May 23, 2012
Tags: al nour, bloc, election authorities, election legislation, hosni mubarak, justice party, lawmakers, mohamed, muslim brotherhood, overwhelming victory, parliamentary polls, ria novosti, scaf, shura council, six weeks, supreme council, tantawi, upper house, uprising, wafd