Is Obama’s grandmother under threat from Al Qaeda?May 13th, 2011 - 11:02 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Abuja, May 13 (THAINDIAN NEWS) President Barack Obama failed to confirm or deny media reports that his grandmother has been threatened by an affiliate of al Qaeda. 88-year-old Sarah Onyango Obama is a step-grandmother of President Obama.
ABC News carried out news to the effect that Somalia’s Al Shabaab has threatened to kill the older woman in a revenge for the death of Osama bin Laden. The report said the Kenyan police have increased security around Sarah after the threat was sent.
During an interview, President Obama said he does not address individual threats because his family receives them regularly. He however assured that due to the high possibility of reprisal attacks from al Qaeda and their affiliates, American citizens will be adequately protected.
Reprisal attacks seem to have started already. In Pakistan, a twin bomb attack resulted in the deaths of about 80 people. The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attacks saying they are a revenge for the role that Pakistan played in getting bin Laden killed.
Bin Laden was killed on the early hours of the 1st of May when US Navy SEALs stormed his secret compound in Pakistan. The raid has raised several questions on Pakistan’s loyalty in America’s fight against terrorism.
- Obama's step grandmother threatened by Al Qaeda - May 13, 2011
- Al Qaeda-linked outfit threatens Obama's grandmother - May 13, 2011
- Security tightened at Obama grandmother's home following Osama's death - May 04, 2011
- 'Bin Laden death won't stop war': Ex Guantanamo Bay detainee Habib - May 02, 2011
- Uganda issues terror alert on Al Qaeda-linked group - Aug 04, 2011
- Bin Laden says America 'will not dream of security' until Palestine has security - May 09, 2011
- Yemeni terror offshoot now bigger threat to US than Osama's al-Qaeda group: CSIS - Feb 09, 2011
- US Special Troops kill Osama Bin Laden in Attotabad - May 02, 2011
- Plot to blow up US-bound jet foiled - May 08, 2012
- al-Qaeda leadership confirms Bin Laden is dead, says it will release audio recording - May 06, 2011
- Pakistani Taliban pledge revenge for Osama's death - May 02, 2011
- Obama bans Somalia charcoal import - Jul 21, 2012
- Reports: Obama to announce Osama bin Laden is dead - May 02, 2011
- From PM to commoner, all welcome bin Laden killing (Roundup) - May 02, 2011
- Osama sought to kill Obama: Report (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
Tags: abc news, abuja, al qaeda, american citizens, barack obama, bomb attack, deaths, kenyan police, loyalty, navy, older woman, onyango, osama bin laden, pakistan, reprisal, revenge, secret compound, somalia, step grandmother, taliban