Iraqi legislators oppose execution of Saddam regime officialsJuly 17th, 2011 - 1:33 am ICT by IANS
Baghdad, July 17 (IANS) Iraqi lawmakers have opposed the execution of two top military officials of former dictator Saddam Hussein’s regime, warning that it could lead to sectarian conflicts, Xinhua reported Saturday.
“We demand the presidency not to ratify the execution of Sultan Hashim and Hussein Rashid, because they are symbols of the Iraqi military and the history of the Iraqi army is a witness for their professionalism,” Hassan al-Jubouri, a Sunni legislator told reporters in Baghdad.
Iraqi Ministry of Justice said Friday in a statement that it had received Thursday 196 prisoners, including five senior officials of the former regime, detained at Camp Cropper near Baghdad International Airport from the US military.
The five officials include Saddam’s two half-brothers Watban Ibrahim and Sabawi Ibrahim, former defence minister Sultan Hashim Ahmed, former chief of staff Hussein Rashid al-Tikriti and a top official of Saddam’s Baath party Aziz Saleh al-Numan, the statement said.
They have been sentenced to death in different trials from 2007 to 2011, the statement added.
- US hands over Saddam's two half-brothers to Iraq - Jul 15, 2011
- Iraq sets free Saddam Hussien's loyalist - Aug 05, 2010
- Saddam Hussein's secretary executed - Jun 07, 2012
- Iraq's head of anti-Baath committee assassinated - May 27, 2011
- Iraq bans visits to Saddam Hussein's grave - Jan 22, 2012
- Iraq frees Saddam Hussein's interior minister - Jul 10, 2012
- Iraq hangs 12 Al Qaeda men for wedding massacre - Nov 25, 2011
- Osama's death not a big loss for Al Qaeda: Iraqi expert - May 02, 2011
- US military hands over former headquarters to Iraq - Dec 02, 2011
- US hands over Tareq Aziz, other Saddam regime members to Iraq - Jul 14, 2010
- Tariq Aziz's son pleads for condemned father's life - Dec 02, 2010
- All US troops out of Iraq - Dec 18, 2011
- Anti-terror official killed in Iraq blast - Sep 07, 2012
- Chemical Ali will not go to the gallows alone: Iraq - Mar 19, 2008
- Interpol steps up hunt for Saddam daughter - 'Raghad Saddam Hussein al-Majid' - Apr 10, 2010
Tags: baath party, baghdad international airport, camp cropper, chief of staff, defence minister, former dictator, half brothers, hassan, iraqi army, july 17, legislator, military officials, ministry of justice, professionalism, rashid, sabawi ibrahim, saleh, senior officials, sultan hashim, xinhua