Iraqi factions sign peace pact proposed by radical Shiite clericDecember 25th, 2011 - 12:40 am ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Dec 24 (IANS) Iraqi political blocs and social dignitaries Saturday gathered in Baghdad to sign an initiative proposed by radical Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr calling for peaceful coexistence among all Iraqis after the withdrawal of US troops from the country.
“The national code, which was called upon by Moqtada al-Sadr, is a guarantee to maintain peace in all Iraqi provinces,” Salah al-Obiedi, an aide to Sadr told the gathering, reported Xinhua.
Obiedi described the code, named “National Code of Honor,” as an attempt to preserve Iraq’s integrity and stability.
The 13-point code warns against bloodshed in Iraq and urges respect for religions of all sects and ethnic minorities in the country.
The gathering was attended by hundreds of people, including representatives of all Iraqi political parties, intellectuals and tribal leaders.
Sadr’s Mahdi Army militia had been fighting US troops and was one of the major forces in the sectarian conflict with Sunnis in Iraq that claimed the lives of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis.
The initiative comes amid growing tensions between Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki’s leading Shiite bloc and his political rivals, as the US troops concluded their withdrawal few days ago, leaving less than 200 personnel in the country for training programmes.
- Tens of thousands protest in Baghdad to demand U.S. troops to leave - May 27, 2011
- Iraqis stage demonstration after Gates 'US military to stay for years' remark - Apr 10, 2011
- Radical Islamic cleric al-Sadr urges Iraqis to 'resist occupier US with all means' - Jan 08, 2011
- Iraqi parliamentary race remains close - Mar 15, 2010
- New Maliki govt with anti-US Shiite Islamic support could complicate Iraq-US relationship - Oct 02, 2010
- Thousands of Iraqis protest against foreign intervention - Sep 17, 2011
- Opposition leader agrees to join Maliki Government in Iraq - Dec 16, 2010
- Iraqis demand end to American occupation - Apr 10, 2011
- Biden pays surprise visit to Iraq - Nov 30, 2011
- Early Iraq poll results show tight race - Mar 13, 2010
- Main battle against terror ends: Iraqi PM - Aug 07, 2012
- Iran's Revolutionary Guard aided Iraqi militias during second Gulf War - Oct 23, 2010
- Anti-U.S. cleric Muqtada al-Sadr returns to Iraq - Jan 06, 2011
- Iran openly backs Iraqi PM Maliki for second term - Oct 19, 2010
- Iraq's speaker criticises human rights violation - Jan 03, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,