Iran’s Moussavi urged to resolve election issues through legal channelsJune 16th, 2009 - 12:39 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, June 15 (IANS) Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei has urged defeated presidential candidate Mir-Hossein Moussavi to follow up the alleged irregularities in the June 12 presidential elections through legal channels, IRNA reported Monday.
“Thank god almighty, the elections were held with high degree of reliability, soundness and tranquility. You too should follow up the relevant issues through legal channels,” Khamenei told Moussavi in a meeting here Sunday.
Khamenei has praised the high turnout in the June 12 presidential elections.
While underlining the need for peace, Khamenei said: “In the previous elections too certain individuals and candidates had a number of complaints and they followed up the issues through the Guardian Council as the legal body in charge of dealing with election-related complaints.”
“Naturally, this time too, the issues should be followed up through legal channels,” he added.
Referring to a letter (on election irregularities) sent by Moussavi to the Guardian Council, the supreme leader said the Guardian Council has been persistently urged to deal with the letter carefully.
- Iran's opposition candidate Rezaei withdraws poll complaint - Jun 24, 2009
- Seven killed in Iran protest, Moussavi calls for re-poll - Jun 16, 2009
- Iran does not rule out expulsion of diplomats over protests (Lead) - Jun 22, 2009
- Khamenei calls for an end to Iran's election disputes - Jun 28, 2009
- Election rigging was planned months in advance, says Moussavi - Jun 21, 2009
- Khamenei backs Ahmadinejad, calls for end to protests (Lead) - Jun 19, 2009
- Iran's Guardian Council offers Moussavi a deal - Jun 27, 2009
- Iran to recount 10 percent of ballot boxes, says report - Jun 20, 2009
- Hundreds of thousands join protest rally in Tehran (Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- Black, green prevail as Tehran streets again thronged (Lead) - Jun 18, 2009
- Masters degree must for Iran's lawmakers - Apr 29, 2011
- Khamenei warns opposition against undermining establishment - Dec 13, 2009
- Police fire shots at Tehran protest, Moussavi warned over unrest - Jun 20, 2009
- EU concerned about post-election violence in Iran - Jun 14, 2009
- Moussavi complains of arrests, as Iran stalemate continues (Lead) - Jun 25, 2009
Tags: ali khamenei, election irregularities, election issues, god almighty, guardian council, high turnout, iran, legal channels, moussavi, peace, presidential candidate, presidential elections, previous elections, relevant issues, reliability, soundness, supreme leader ayatollah, tehran, tranquility